Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare an indoor Merbau table?

Willmander
Finding My Feet

How to prepare an indoor Merbau table?

I've recently purchased the Specrite Merbau Panel 2400x900x33 for an indoor office table.

I have seen posts here about prepping the timber, which I have been weathering and soaking it to bleed the tannins every few days (about 3 weeks now).

I also have the Calbots Timber Prep which I'm thinking of using to make sure it's all bled out. However do I really need to use the Deck Clean solution too? Considering it's a new panel, all the warning labels on the cleaner, and the poor drainage in the place that I'm working on this table, I'd rather not use harsh poisons if I don't need to.

Post that I'm thinking of sanding down and doing a few coats of rub on poly.

Advice would be great.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prepping an Indoor Merbau Table

Hello @Willmander 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Cabot's deck clean. 

Allow me to make some queries with our supplier regarding the Cabot's Deck Clean. At this point I can only recommend what Cabot's has suggested. But as soon as we get more information regarding deck clean. I'll get back to you. 

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare an indoor Merbau table?

Hi @Willmander,

Will you be using the panel outside or inside? According to the product's direction, Your Merbau panel has not been pre-finished. Before installation, you must apply a generous amount of wax or oil to all the panel surfaces, paying particular attention to the underside, cut edges and back edges, as these may not be accessible after installation. We recommend that all cut edges and end grains get a further three coats of wax or oil, to ensure that the oil has penetrated deep into the timber. Closely follow the wax or oil manufacturer’s instructions for application and recommended drying times between coats. Drying time depends on the relative humidity in the home at the time. Please give special attention to the oiling of the end grains and cut ends to seal them properly. Once all coats of oil are complete, allow 72 hours of drying before everyday use. 

Weathering Merbau is something we typically do with decking. According to the instructions, you should be able to seal the surface with three coats of polyurethane.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

This is just an indoor table.

Will a Feast Watson Satin Wipe On Poly suffice or should I be oiling the table first?

Appreciate the insight.

Just the poly it fine, but as per the instructions, you'll need three coats @Willmander. This is to ensure no moisture can penetrate and cause issue with the tannins.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Willmander 

Just following up on my team-mates answer. I've been in contact with the technical team of Specrite and they said not to use the Cabots products. Their advice is to give the surface a light sand to prepare the surface and seal the entire panel completely from top to bottom and all the sides. Your goal is to create a barrier to prevent moisture from entering the timber panel. By sealing the panel, it will prevent the tannin from leaching out.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. Please make sure to follow the sealing recommendations printed on the instruction sheet of the panel.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects