Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a 4 poster bed frame?

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

How to make a 4 poster bed frame?

Hi- I’d like to make a four- poster bed frame, capable of supporting curtains on all 4 sides, but not the roof. I’d put horizontal poles around it at the top and bottom (on floor), and a crossbeam support top/bottom for added stability.Poles can be metal or wood. My skills are limited, so looking for ‘lock together’ type poles and 4 way elbows. Are there any ‘ready to go’ kits I could use? Many thanks! Judith

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make 4 posterbed frame

Hello @Judith2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a 4-poster bed frame. 

There might be some materials at the store that you can use to easily build the frame. But I'm afraid there is no escaping the part where you need to screw the frame to your bed. This is to make sure that the frame is secure and that it won't fall down.

In order to give our members an idea of what your bed looks like, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the bed along with its measurements? We'll then be able to make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Judith2
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, thanks for getting back to me. Here are the details for the bed. All suggestions welcome! Best Wishes,

judith

Judith2_0-1717725558852.png

IMG_7917.png

IMG_7915.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Judith2 

Thank you for sharing the details of the bed you'll be using. Because you are after a 4-poster set that can support curtains, I propose building it out of wood using 92 x 31mm 5.4m Moulding Pine FJ DAR Clear. You'll need a drill, drill bit set, tape measure, pencil and a hand saw.

The structure is basically made of two timber rectangles and 4 timber posts. The interior size of the rectangle is based on the size of the bed. You can make it a bit larger is you wish but not smaller. The rectangle frame can be joined together using Zenith 10G x 100mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws. Please make sure to drill pilot holes to prevent splitting the timber.

The posts can be anchored to the rectangles using Zenith M10 x 75mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Cup Head Bolt And Nut. Make sure to use a washer on the nut side and that it is installed offset from one another to firm up the assembly.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be put together. I believe that this is easy enough for you to assemble. But if you feel that you'll need a hand, I suggest posting the job on Hipages or Airtasker.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Judith2 

That will be a fancy looking bed for sure! I really like @EricL 's plans, Id maybe change one part and go from 2 bolts per join to 3 diagonal bolts per join. Mainly for stability over time as I can imagine the vericales being wobbly. 

If you have a bedhead fixed to the bed itself you may need to allow for that with the bottom rectangle frame.

Would love to some some finished pics of the bed :smile: 

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to make a 4 poster bed frame?

Hi @Judith2 , lots of good advice given by @EricL  and @Dave-1 , I would just add pre sand and paint all parts before assembly, you will get a better finish overall, Goodluck with your project.

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric- thank you so much for your clear instructions here. I like the additional stability provided by the framing at the floor level. think I can handle it! It’s a project my son and I are going to do together so it might take a while, but I’ll post some photos to the forum when it’s done. Cheers, Judith

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Dave-

No headboard at the moment, but I’ll keep your advice in mind. Also, it sounds like the screws will be extra strong/safe this way!

cheers,

Judith

Judith2
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to make a 4 poster bed frame?

Hi Joe- good idea- that’ll save me splashing paint all over the place when the bed frame is done! Cheers,

Judith

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects