Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a double screen door?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to build a double screen door?

Hi Team,

A while ago I had part of a wall knocked out and two double hinged glass doors installed to lead out onto a new deck. Now I want to make a screen door for the inside of the double door area.

The dimensions are 2030mm high x 1530mm wide, give or take 5mm. The double glass doors open from the middle out, so I'm looking to make at least one screen panel with one screen door, which would open inward from the centre, or two screen doors which would open inward from the centre. Both options would need to have some kind of latch or lock to keep them closed.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Double Screen Door

Hi @BoeingFan 

Yes, I remember those doors you had put in, I'm drawing up a sample screen door that you can build yourself and should be narrow enough that they don't take up too much space. 

Thank you for your patience

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

For reference, there is a channel all the way around which is about 25mm deep looking inward, and about 10mm wide left to right, as per the pics.

Thanks as always for your advice.

Regards,

Jason

~10mm width left to right~10mm width left to right~25mm depth from internal face~25mm depth from internal faceDouble door frameDouble door frame

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BoeingFan 

My apologies for the late reply. I've some sample images below to give you an idea of how the screen door can be assembled. I've used 70x35 timber as an example and you can use standard 8g chipboard screws to keep them together. It is possible to use smaller sized timber, but please keep in mind that it will make the structure flimsier.

The mozzie mesh can then be stapled right on top of the frame and the edge can be covered with thin timber moulding to disguise the stapled area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects