Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i stain plywood or MDF shelves to match our desk?

Miri
Just Starting Out

Can i stain plywood or MDF shelves to match our desk?

These shelves are made from plywood. What is the easiest way to stain these so that the colour will represent the closest to the desk we already own. (see image).

As a second option, what would we use to paint/spray these in an actual colour.

In addition, I can purchase similar shelves (for much cheaper) from target, but these are made from MDF. Can MDF be painted/stained?

acccc997-e240-459e-b468-c3ade881e9e7.jpg

T03872_Lores_Square_02.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i stain plywood or MDF shelves to match our desk?

Hello @Miri 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about matching the stain on your plywood desk. 

In order to get a close match, I propose bringing either a door or a drawer front to the store so that you can match the stain that is on your cabinet. Looking at the picture you've posted it looks like Cabot's 250ml Walnut Interior Stain. But it's difficult to be certain due to the lighting conditions. I suggest going to the paint department and have a look at the stain and varnish sample board.

However, in regards to the plywood shelves, if they are unpainted, I suggest doing a light sand on its surface and cleaning it off before you paint them with your preferred timber stain. I recommend testing a small portion behind the shelf to give you an indication of what the finish will be like. If you are satisfied with the stain, you can then commit the whole shelf.

As to staining MDF, please keep in mind that MDF is fibre board and will give you a uniform finish. It can be stained close to the colour of the table, but its finish and presentation will look different. 

In regards to painting them, I recommend a primer, and a topcoat tinted in your preferred colour.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to stain an indoor table (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects