Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use a downlight to pendant conversion kit to move the location of a light?

nico1212
Just Starting Out

Can I use a downlight to pendant conversion kit to move the location of a light?

In my new house, I have downlights located directly above the space between the kitchen benches (ie not over the island bench)

I want to move these so they are directly above the bench, and at the same time, switch them from downlights to a hanging pendant light.

I've seen various kits (like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/brilliant-black-diy-convert-downlight-to-pendant-jez-shade-holder_p04430...) which allow you to convert a downlight to a pendant. I'm wondering if I can use the kit, and the hanging cord that comes with it, to relocate the lights, by housing the original light connection in the ceiling, sealing up the original downlight hole, then using the cord that comes with the kit to run the lights to the new location above the bench, then through the ceiling and mount them, as per my diagram. Does anyone see any issues with this?Downlight to Pendant - after.pngDownlight to Pendant - before.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use a downlight to pendant conversion kit to move the location of a light?

Hello @nico1212 

Thanks for sharing your question about the downlight conversion kit. I'm afraid you'll need to refer this to a registered electrician. There might be other installation requirements that need to be taken into consideration when installing it in the fashion you're after.

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Can I use a downlight to pendant conversion kit to move the location of a light?

Thanks @EricL , at @nico1212 I'm not 100% sure how these conversion kits work as far as what voltage are they taking from the downlight and converting where but all I can assume is they have been designed as a DIY and safe for consumers to use. Saying that they would be be designed with the chord to hang down not up in the ceiling so by installing in reverse you may be left with 1. springs and connection issues on the underside of the ceiling 2. It just not physically working like you thinking it should.

It's hard to tell without seeing in the flesh I'm sorry but if it's DIY I don't see any issues as long as there is no modifications to the fitting itself.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects