Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget country and industrial-style kitchen renovation

Dons-Glenno
Growing in Experience

Budget country and industrial-style kitchen renovation

We had a very tight, poorly designed and underutilised kitchen space even though the room for the kitchen was quite large. Our vibe was to incorporate an Industrial/Country feel (a genre, we have possibly made up). We did our entire kitchen ourselves (hubby and I) except for the gas connection and electricals. We deconstructed a kitchen we found on Facebook Marketplace to utilise the cabinetry carcasses and doors which we later painted. This was a huge cost saver. We love our new kitchen that gives us a much bigger space for entertaining.

Materials

Tile Paint used just as an interim until we could start our reno's, but it worked great.

White Knight 1L White Gloss Renew Tile And Laminate Paint - Bunnings Australia

Kitchen Flooring

Senso 914 x 152 x 2mm 2.20m² Rustic Walnut Self Adhesive Vinyl Planks - 16 Pack - Walnut - Bunnings ...

Pantry Door

Corinthian 2040 x 820 x 35mm Internal Door Primed MDF Deco 4S - Bunnings Australia

Replacement window supplied by Bradnams and the solid double-glazed window was purchased second-hand on Facebook Marketplace

Tiles purchased from Bunnings

Kitchen Cabinetry was purchased second-hand on Facebook Marketplace. 

We also added some focal pieces from Early Settler which included a freestanding Pantry, overhead cupboards and a Microwave Cupboard as well as the overhead pendant lights.

Bench Tops are an Oak Laminate

Butcher Block was custom made by IHR Geelong

Miele Fridge was Purchased Second-hand on Facebook Market Place 

Miele Dishwasher was reused 

Smeg Oven was purchased new

Black Granite sink and tapware was purchased on Ebay

Cupboard Paint

Dulux 1L Super Enamel Paint Semi Gloss Extra Bright - Bunnings Australia

Tools

Dewalt Repo Saw

Dewalt Circular Saw

DeWALT 18V Li-ion XR 184mm Brushless Circular Saw DCS570N-XE - Skin Only - Bunnings Australia

Paslode Nail Gun

Paslode Cordless Lithium-Ion Impulse FrameMaster PowerVent Nail Gun - Bunnings Australia

Dewalt Impact Drill

DeWALT 18V 3 Speed Cordless Impact Driver - Skin Only - Bunnings Australia

Dewalt Drill

Dewalt Drop Saw

Sigma Tile Cutter

Variety of Hand Tools

Steps

Step 1

This was our kitchen when we moved in, however I did paint the tiles with a Tile Paint just to modernise it a little until such time we could fully renovate.

First Step, demolish, of course. We did keep some of the cabinetry which we reused in our downstairs Studio Room kitchenette. 

This was our original Kitchen, however just to make it look a little bit better, we painted the wall tiles as a temporary fixThis was our original Kitchen, however just to make it look a little bit better, we painted the wall tiles as a temporary fixkitchen 3.JPG
kitchen 5.JPGkitchen before.jpg

Kitchen DemoKitchen Demo

Step 2

For the lovers of vintage porcelain tiles, then apologies! But these beauties had to go. Because we have dogs we were looking for a flooring that was durable but would go with our "country/rustic" feel that we have been trying to achieve. We chose the Senso Vinyl Flooring in Rustic Walnut. Firstly, we had to level the tile grout so the floor tiles would lay smoothly and not show any indentations. The flooring itself was very easy to apply and is wearing very well. 

kitchen before 2.jpgnew floors.jpg

Step 3

New plaster and new windows. We don't love plastering but are getting better and better as our reno's go on. We installed a solid double-glazed window which acts as our backsplash with a view. The other window we replaced and upgraded.

Our cabinetry doors were a dark timber which we freshened up with Dulux Black Caviar (solvent enamel).

We arranged all the cabinetry to fit in our space, that was a bit of a fluke, but it ended up working pretty well.

The Bench tops are an Oak Laminate, and we installed a Black Granite sink.

New Plaster and new windows.New Plaster and new windows.

Original Cabinetry was in a dark timber which we repainted in Dulux Black CaviarOriginal Cabinetry was in a dark timber which we repainted in Dulux Black Caviar

kitchen 6.jpgIMG_0104.jpgkitchen 14.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

Step 4

This is the pantry. We added this space by removing the dining room (we also added a laundry behind the pantry). This is a temporary fit out using shelving purchased from Bunnings. One day we will get to fitting out "properly", but it works well for now.

IMG_0081.jpg

Step 5

Our custom-made Butcher Block is definitely the hero of the room.

We had the butcher block custom madeWe had the butcher block custom madeIMG_0106.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

Step 6

With a hint of Country/Industrial vibes, some beautiful timber pieces from Early Settler, here is our completed Kitchen. Pretty proud of the end result. It is roomy and a great space for entertaining. 

IMG_0101.jpgIMG_0085.jpgIMG_0088.jpgIMG_0089.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0103.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Budget country and industrial-style kitchen renovation

Morning @Dons-Glenno 

Thats a beautiful kitchen you have renovated! I like the colours you have chosen and really like the stove "splashback" :smile: It would be a pleasure to stand there and cook!

Really impressed about how you have re-used so much stuff. It looks modern, new and clean!

Nicely done.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dons-Glenno,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic kitchen renovation with us.

I love the industrial/country description, which I think perfectly describes the aesthetic you've created.

It's incredible to learn that you've repurposed an old kitchen to create this space, which honestly looks brand new. 

I love the dark tones you've gone within the benchtops, flooring and cabinets, but with the amount of natural light you've got at your disposal, they still look bright and beautiful. 

Did you happen to have any photos of the kitchen at night? I think it would look fantastic with the warm lighting from the industrial-look chandelier. 

Last but not least, that butcher's block is certainly the hero of the room. It is certainly the thickest butcher's block I have ever seen. That thing must weigh an absolute tonne. 

Congratulations on a wonderful kitchen renovation.

Jacob

Dons-Glenno
Growing in Experience

@JacobZas requested, here are some night pics of our kitchen. Hope you like them, and thanks again for your kind words,

cheers Dons-GlennoIMG_0258.jpgIMG_0276.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dons-Glenno,

As I suspected, it looks fantastic at night. Someday I hope to have a kitchen of my own that is just like this.

Thank you for sharing.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects