Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you make a kitchen benchtop out of Pine?

Cat234
Growing in Experience

Can you make a kitchen benchtop out of Pine?

I’m wanting to do a diy kitchen bench top out of Bunnings timber panels. Because of the bench width (just over 60cm) my light wood options are limited to the pine panels or the ash or oak. The pine actually goes best w my floor boards because the pink undertones in the ash and oak panels clash a bit w the yellow undertones of my floor boards.

I’m wondering if pine is a bad choice for a kitchen bench as I know it’s a soft wood? Is there anything I can do to make it more durable? 

and if the ash or oak would be a better choice , is there a way to stain them so the pink tones can be minimised?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you make a kitchen benchtop out of Pine?

Hi @Cat234,

Hardwoods are typically used in benchtops due to their resistance to damage and decay. If you're going to use a softwood like Pine, you'll need to ensure a hard coating is applied over it to offer protection. I'd recommend you consider either Cabots 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish or, better still, the Protite 750ml Glass Coat Kit. The Protite kit is a two-part epoxy that allows you to build up a thick glass-like coating on the timber. This thick coating will provide the best resistance to knocks and damage. Remember, with any benchtop coating, it's best to use mats and protectors under any items that might cause scratching.

Regarding the pink tones of the other timbers, if you're looking for a natural look, there's not much you can do about that. Obviously, stains would conceal the colouring, but you'll need to be open to darkening the timber with them. 

We have the bamboo benchtops from Kaboodle, and the Special Orders team at your local store can assist you in placing a custom order for the size you need.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects