Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint chairs?

Lynn10
Finding My Feet

How to paint chairs?

I have 6 chairs that either need repainting or just a touch-up. What paint should I use to give a smooth finish to look like I just bought them. Thank you.

PXL_20240722_035659005.jpgPXL_20240722_035705218.jpgPXL_20240722_035710833.jpgPXL_20240722_035720169.jpgPXL_20240722_035725264.jpgPXL_20240722_035746762.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint chairs?

Hello @Lynn10 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your chairs. Can I please request you to send your photos by email to workshop@bunnings.com.au. We'll be more than happy to post the photos for you. 

Painting over existing paint is not ideal especially if the old paint is chipping or is looking worn out. When the paint surface is lumpy and does not look ideal, this often translates over to the new coating that you put on your furniture. This is why we often recommend sanding your furniture down back to timber so that you a get superior finish.

However, if the paint is still in good condition, then sanding the surface thoroughly should be enough for you to paint over it. Once we see the condition of your chair's we'll be able to give you better advice.   

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint chairs?

Hello @Lynn10 

Thanks for sharing the picture of your chairs. It appears that the paint is starting to chip off and could be caused by wear and tear. I suggest investigating the bottom of the chair and see if the foam seat can be removed by itself. If it is anchored to the chair, you'll need to mask the soft chair material with painter's tape and cover the top with paper or plastic to prevent paint from getting on the seat.

I propose doing a sanding test on the chipped area and around the body of the chair. If the paint comes off too easily, it will be necessary to remove all the paint. But if the paint is still solidly attached to the chair, a vigorous sanding should suffice. I recommend using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L and for the topcoat I recommend Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint. Both these paint products are water-based and should be safe to use on your chair.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Upcycled buffets

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects