Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to plant in a shaded garden bed in SE QLD?

penright
Just Starting Out

What to plant in a shaded garden bed in SE QLD?

Good morning,

I am getting around to cleaning up a section of our yard and looking for some inspiration or suggestions on what we could do in this area. 

the area faces north but is in shade pretty much all day, gentle slope from left to right in the picture and there’s a small garden bed (approx 3x1m) 

just wondering if there’s any suggestions on what we could do here - budget is relatively small and I don’t have a week to sink into the project unfortunately; I might be looking for a unicorn project.. 

maybe just mulch the area or try and extend the grass into the region? empty the garden bed and mulch that as well? 

Photos attached/below. 

IMG_6792.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to plant in a shaded garden bed in SE QLD?

Hello @penright 

Thanks for sharing your question about what to plant in your shaded garden. Your idea of using mulch is an excellent idea, but just to add a little bit of variety to your plan. I recommend using medium to semi large flowerpots in a few colourful varieties and planting Belgian Kaffir Lily - Clivia Miniata, Begonias, Mona Lavander and Ferns. These are all shade loving plants and should be ok in that spot. Being in individual pots means that they can be moved around and if they really need a bit of sun light you can move them to a bright area in the garden.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to choose plants for a shaded area by @ChloeThomson 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects