Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat web-like growths on fig tree?

susieteach
Just Starting Out

How to treat web-like growths on fig tree?

I have these spidery web-like growths on the leaves of my fig tree. It fruited well this year and seemed relatively healthy but suddenly these growths have appeared on the leaves and seem to be eating the leaf.

IMG_8920.jpegIMG_8921.jpegIMG_8922.jpegIMG_8923.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: whats wrong with my fig tree

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @susieteach. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fig tree care.

I believe those would be spider mites. In the early stages, before they've damaged the leaves, you can remove them by wiping them off with a wet cloth or a blast from your garden hose. In most of your images here, they've been able to damage the leaves significantly. For these, I'd snip off the leaves and dispose of them as they are no longer any use to the plant.

You might like to spray the whole plant with Ecooil, which is another way of killing them.

Let me mention our horticultural expert, @Noelle, to see if she can confirm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat web-like growths on fig tree?

Hi @susieteach 

I agree with Mitchell's diagnosis and recommended treatment. The sooner this pest is controlled, the less damage it will cause.

Hi thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to purchase Ecooil in the UK. Do you know of an alternative treatment that may be available here?

kind regards

I'm sorry @susieteach but the Bunnings Workshop community is for residents of Australia and New Zealand. Our team is not aware of what products might be available in the UK. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects