Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remedy unhealthy grevilleas and lilly pillies please?

Aristea
Finding My Feet

How do I remedy unhealthy grevilleas and lilly pillies please?

My grevillea has brown leaves and I'm not sure how to identify the problem. I believe the drainage is ok.

Second problem: my Lilly pillies are being decimated by a small green beetle🪲as well as leaf discolouration. Please help 🙏

1000001126.jpg

1000001117.jpg

1000001112.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remedy unhealthy grevilleas and lilly pillies please?

Hello @Aristea 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Grevilleas and Lilly Pilly.

For the green beetles, I propose using Yates 1L Ready-To-Use Advanced Garden Insect Killer.  It is an effective insecticide used to control a broad range of pests on ornamental plants and vegetables in the gardens. My best advice is to make sure to spray under the leaves for full coverage.

In regards to the Grevilleas, can you please tell us if you've put in any new fertilizer or have changed your watering habits? Can you also please observe if the leaves of the plant have a powdery texture on its surface? Can you please tell us a little bit of history regarding this plant? How long have you had it and is this the first time it has showed these symptoms? Any extra information you can tell us would be very much appreciated.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Grub80 for their recommendations

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thankyou for responding. Thus grevillea is less than a year old and has never flowered I haven't fertlised it but i suspect dynamic lifter may have been in vicinity of its planting location. There is no sign of powdery substance on the leaves. Any tips would be appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aristea 

Thanks for that extra information regarding your grevilleas. I suggest removing the dead branches that are still attached to your plant. I then recommend checking the soil around your plant, move the mulch away from the grevilleas and check if the soil around it is waterlogged. Push your fingers into the soil and if it is very wet, if it is, I suggest holding back on your watering regime to allow the soil to fully dry off. 

Another thing you can check are the roots of the plants, if you can dig towards the roots without damaging them have a good close look and see if they are healthy or covered in fungal growth. At this point in time, I suggest using Seasol 600ml Complete Garden Health Treatment to help fortify the plant. 

Let me call on our plant guru @Noelle for her recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Eric, you are a gem. Many thanks 🙏 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects