Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sized pots for climbing figs?

CinQuinn
Just Starting Out

What sized pots for climbing figs?

I have kist purchased small climbing fig pots, 6 of them. I want them to grow to roughly 2.5m tall by 1.5m wide each so they all connect. I have received 6 pots in the mail and theyre only 10cm wide x 20cm long x 10cm deep… will i need much larger pots or are they fine?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: climbing figs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CinQuinn. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about pot selection.

Those sound too small for what you are hoping to achieve. I'd recommend going for something closer to a Northcote Pottery 62 x 17cm ribbed watering Trough or, better still, growing them in the ground. You might not need a pot quite so large, but the larger the pot, the more room the roots have to expand, allowing more top growth and spread.

The issue with growing any plant in a small pot is that it becomes very hard to manage moisture levels. One hot day when you're not there to water, and you could lose the lot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects