Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I get rid of these weeds?

jasmine4
Finding My Feet

How do I get rid of these weeds?

image.jpg

 I’ve cut these plants back but need to get weed and thought I could maybe use some kind of sprayer/poison to make my job a bit easier. Any advice is appreciated, new to this! Keen to get it looking good 👍🏼 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I get rid of these weeds?

Hello @jasmine4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about getting your front garden looking good.

If you've cleaned this out, you've done a very good job. I don't think you'll need any more herbicide on your garden as it already looks very clean. I believe the remaining green in the soil is the remnants of the original turf. I suggest having a look at the Bunnings step-by-step guide on How to lay turf it contains all the information you need to prepare your area for new turf. I also suggest having a look at these discussions - How to remove existing lawn and lay new turf? by @ArunM and Lawn renovation by @homeinmelbourne

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jasmine4,

If you are looking to remove the remnants of the plants, you could spray them with herbicide, which will kill them. However, due to the size, you'd likely also need to dig the plants and roots out. The best tool for this job would be a mattock. Given that they'll need to be dug out, it might be worth just doing that straight away, instead of bothering with poisoning them.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @jasmine4 

Do poison them first because if you don't and dig them out, any bits of root that you miss can grow back into a new weed! Wait a week and then for a weather forecast that gives at least 24 hours without any rain and then hit them with round up. Wait till you are sure they are dead before digging them out. The reason I say wait for a week is that the plants absorb the round up through their leaves, so if you have ripped a lot out, it would be best for them to sprout new leaves in order to eradicate them.

Thank you so much! A trip to Bunnings for some round up today and will keep an eye on the forecast, much appreciated 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects