Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Cranswick
Building a Reputation

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Hi l have an outdoor shed l park my car in,l have had a problem of rats or mice getting in, l dont like using poison or traps becasue l have cats . l am thinking of building a fence or barrier around the car with a gate to stop rats and mice getting into my car, l was thinking of a fence barrier about waist high, what would be the best materials to use that so that rats would not be able to climb over it. l was thinking of using plywood sheets for the fence and sticking a roll of aluminium flashing along the lenght of the fence so they cannot climb it, see photo . is that a good idea or is there a better way

Cranswick_0-1721195741028.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

G'day @Prof 

"I tried it about a week ago, placing this bait in three different areas..inside and out..

All you have to do to make this bait is to place 3Tbsp. of flour into a small bowl with 2Tbsp. of yeast..and some shredded cheese..and mix it all up together."

What do autopsies reveal? What's the pathophysiology? Yeast = stomach expansion = vital organ compression?

Do you have a published Lancet research paper? 😁

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick,

I imagine running the ribs on your corrugate iron vertically would make them more difficult to climb.

Burying the bottom edge of the corrugated iron by around 15cm would certainly help to stop them burrowing underneath, but it is worth noting that it would increase the risk of the sheets rusting over time.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Cranswick 

Reading of the exploits of rats :surprised: I have bumped up my idea to maybe using sheet metal galvanisedand bury it the same way as has been suggested for corrorgated sheets. You will need a piece of timber or steel at the top to stop the whole thing being a wobble board but surely they wouldnt be able to climb a smooth surface. I would also overlap the edges when joing them side by side and maybe only bolt them together top and bottom so they cant "rock climb" as @Noyade has seen :surprised: 

Note - Wear appropriate gloves when using  the sheet metal as it can be quiet sharp.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects