Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Cranswick
Building a Reputation

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Hi l have an outdoor shed l park my car in,l have had a problem of rats or mice getting in, l dont like using poison or traps becasue l have cats . l am thinking of building a fence or barrier around the car with a gate to stop rats and mice getting into my car, l was thinking of a fence barrier about waist high, what would be the best materials to use that so that rats would not be able to climb over it. l was thinking of using plywood sheets for the fence and sticking a roll of aluminium flashing along the lenght of the fence so they cannot climb it, see photo . is that a good idea or is there a better way

Cranswick_0-1721195741028.png

Tracey5
Just Starting Out

Re: What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

@EricL I’m not sure if I add the @?

Anyways, you are most welcome Eric, I just hope this helps?
I should have mentioned I was dealing with Bush Rats, the smaller rats and mice may enter via elsewhere🤷‍♀️

I’ll just add, after I did use duct tape I

had NO more issues, they completely vanished, and they didnt even try chewing the duct tape… I used the duct tape to initially just cover the holes, I had no idea it would get rid of them🙂.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tracey5 

If you wish to tag a member place the "@" before typing the members name. They will get an automatic notification that a reply has been sent to them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cranswick
Building a Reputation

If l put spikes such as these along the top of the fence will that help stop rats climbing it 

Cranswick_0-1727399269618.jpegCranswick_1-1727399344334.jpeg

It might deter them @Cranswick, but unlike larger creatures such as possums, the rats can still navigate across them if they are determined. They would likely help, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cranswick
Building a Reputation

Thanks l am now thinking of building a rat proof fence or barrier with  this from Bunnings , could RATS CLIMB over the top THIS MESH 90cm tall, if they could climb 90cm wire fence , what if l doubled the height to 180cm, would that be almost impossible to climb over

Jack 900mm x 5m 6.5 x 6.5mm Mouse Mesh

Cranswick_1-1727478330658.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick,

Thank you for the update and additional question.

This mesh is designed to stop mice from getting into fully enclosed structures. The aperture of the mesh is too small for them to climb through, however, it is likely they'd still be able to climb the wire.

I can't really say whether they'd be able to climb over the wire or not if it was freestanding and not fully enclosed. I imagine doubling the height of the mesh would certainly help to deter most mice, but I can't say with certainty that it would be impossible.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @DIYGnome.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob  

Cranswick
Building a Reputation

thanks, so with mesh could rats climb it by putting their claws in the gaps in the mesh, but what about a smooth steel surface? what if l made the barrier or fence out of these steel sheets , faced sideways so it will be 76cm tall, will it be almost impossible for rats to climb over or could they ?

Fielders 1800mm 0.42mm BMT Zincalume Steel S-Rib Corrugated Steel Cladding

Cranswick_0-1727483611845.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick,

I'd say it is far less likely they'd be able to climb a smooth surface such as the corrugated iron you've mentioned above.

Once again, I can't really say whether it would be impossible as you may have rats that can jump quite high, but logic would say it would be much more difficult and definitely worth trying.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Cranswick
Building a Reputation

Thankyou , yes even if its not impossible to climb it will deter them and make it hard for them,

Would it make much difference in rats abilty to climb it , if l place the sheets horizontialy or verticaly. would it be easier for the rats to climb if the sheets are horizonal meaning the corrogated part of the sheets are horizatal rahther then vertical, or would it make no difference. Lastly should l have part of the bottom part of the sheets buried under the ground to stop then crawling or tunneling under, if so how many CM under should l bury it

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

True story.

Believe it or not.

Seven years ago I was outside and cornered a rat (literally) between a wall, sleepers and a 1.7 metre corrugated iron fence. As I approached it  - it scampered up and over the corrugated iron fence. Faster than those speed climbers seen at the Olympics.

I was stunned - I thought I had him.

Looking closer at the iron - there were dimples, some rough spots and tek screws for talon holds.

I wonder if he sussed the wall out earlier? 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects