Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Hi l have an outdoor shed l park my car in,l have had a problem of rats or mice getting in, l dont like using poison or traps becasue l have cats . l am thinking of building a fence or barrier around the car with a gate to stop rats and mice getting into my car, l was thinking of a fence barrier about waist high, what would be the best materials to use that so that rats would not be able to climb over it. l was thinking of using plywood sheets for the fence and sticking a roll of aluminium flashing along the lenght of the fence so they cannot climb it, see photo . is that a good idea or is there a better way

Cranswick_0-1721195741028.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Hello @Cranswick 

Thanks for sharing your question about putting up a fence for your shed. Your idea should work, and a waist high fence should technically be tall enough to prevent them from climbing over. If you were to put flashing on top of the fence, I propose putting it at a 45-degree angle to deter climbing. 

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to get rid of rats and mice?

Let me call on our experienced members @Prof, @Dave-1 and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

thnaks , the flashing in the photo is 15 cm in width ,is that wide enough or should l put in two layers and make it 30cm in width,  l was thinking perhaps l could stick it on straignt against the plywood wall and not a 45 degree angle because the rats claws are not able to cling or claw into it and therefore not able to climb it , or would it have to be 45 angle to be sure they cant climb it

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick 

It's like a large cat cage where the 45-degree part of the fence prevents them from grabbing a footing. If it was installed straight, they might be able to take a hanging leap from the middle of the board.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Cranswick 

Mice/rats are pain in the you know what 😕 The flashing idea being 150mm I think would be a little short, Mice I know stretch out a loooong way, Seriosuly surpprising length they can stretch even before they climb. Something 30cm high or prob 45cm high for rats as they are larger. A plywood fence that has a sloping outward angle at the top would be good. think of a 45deg piece of solid aluminium angle. I just had a look but couldnt find anything with an 45deg angle, so the next best one would be a unequal angle (didnt know the name before lol) of 50 by 25mm Metal Mate 50 x 25 x 3.0mm 3m Silver Aluminium Unequal Angle  mounted at the top so they can reach around.

For the gate, my first thought was the course brush weather seal type deal across the width. Raven 920mm White RP83 Brush Strip 

Dave

Prof
Amassing an Audience

Hi Cranswick...

I recently had a bit of a plague of mice at my place and I got tired of resetting traps everywhere..

I came across an idea of a bait that the mice would eat and then go away and die..

I was a bit skeptical about the idea and I didn't want to have the smell of dead mice through the house..

I tried it about a week ago, placing this bait in three different areas..inside and out..

I haven't seen one mouse ( dead or alive) since.!! and no smells.!!

All you have to do to make this bait is to place 3Tbsp. of flour into a small bowl with 2Tbsp. of yeast..and some shredded cheese..and mix it all up together..

Place three of four bowls in different areas and watch the results.! When you see droppings in the bowls, you know that they have taken the bait..

Good luck..

Prof...

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

thanks this looks good for the top of the fence https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-50-x-25-x-3-0mm-3m-silver-aluminium-unequal-angle_p1138212

but the problem is the price of $88 for 3 meters and my fence will be around 15 meters so l would need to buy five of them which would cost $440.

is there something cheaper thats similar

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick 

How about using Brutus 50 x 75mm x 3.0m Jazz Building Moulding Flashing its paintable and is waterproof.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @EricL,

I like the idea of the 45° angle back that all prison fences have, it prevents people climbing into or out these places, provided there is enough of a lip at the top so that nothing can circumvent that top part.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikeTNZ 

I saw it done with a cat enclosure and thought it would probably work in reverse to deter mice from climbing up.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects