Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop weed and grass growing into shed?

Madi-DaSilva
Just Starting Out

How to stop weed and grass growing into shed?

I want to make my shed more usable, fill the holes and gaps, put walls up but i need to start by stopping the grass growing into the shed, for the past 5 years ive been weedkilling the grass to the best of my abilities but 1/2 of the shed is up against two fences I cant get between.

ive read other posts here about filling gaps, using silaflex 11FC or since I also have a 6mx12m shed to cover maybe mortar?

I am a starter DIY so that does sound harder, wondering in Silaflex will stop the weeds and fill the gaps. 

also have some small holes in the wall im wondering how to fix.

IMG_6363.jpeg

IMG_6364.jpeg

IMG_6365.jpeg

IMG_6366.jpeg

IMG_6368.jpeg

IMG_6369.jpeg

  

IMG_6367.jpeg

   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop weed and grass growing into shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Madi-DaSilva. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps in a shed.

I think Sikaflex would be the best solution. Given the size of the shed, I'd recommend using Sika 600ml Black Sikaflex 11FC Purform and a sausage gun. You'll find it more budget-friendly this way instead of using the smaller cartridges. You might like to squeeze some foam backer rod into the gap and push it 6mm below the level of the concrete. This helps prevent the Sikaflex from falling down the gap and reduces wastage.

Once you applied a metre of sealant go back over that area with a damp finger and smooth the it off so it form a cove that transfers from the concrete slab onto the wall panel. By doing this it will prevent moisture and grass from growing through.

For the roof, you'll need to check on a ladder to see where that light is coming from. I suspect some expanding foam applied in that area will seal the gap up adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to stop weed and grass growing into shed?

Hi again @Madi-DaSilva,

I thought I'd point you to this guide, which will also assist other members coming across this discussion: How to waterproof a shed floor.

You don't need the waterproofing aspect of the guide as you have an elevated slab with overhanging walls that cause water to fall outside the slab, but you might like to consider using a similar aluminium trim on the inside over your sealant. Not only will it look neater, but it will also provide a secondary physical barrier to help fend off tenacious weeds.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects