Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gap between garage floor and wall?

Janew
Just Starting Out

How to seal gap between garage floor and wall?

Hi There,

We have a gap between our concrete floor and wall in our shed. I would like to seal and waterproof - I have looked at other posts but not sure if I would need to use a backing rod? And some of the reviews of Sika are not very positive. I need a waterproofing solution that is paintable. Thanks!

IMG_0334 copy.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing gap between garage floor and wall

Hi @Janew,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

Looking at the crack, it's unlikely you'll need a backing rod. A backing rod is only necessary when the crack is so wide that the sealant can fall through the crack before it has set. 

As you would have seen from other posts, the best products for this purpose are Sika 11FC Plus or Sika Pro+ as they are designed with flexibility in mind for this specific circumstance The unfortunate downside to these products is, that they are not paintable.

You could use SikaSeal Super as it is flexible, mould-resistant and paintable. You should note that this product can't be used outdoors and is not as strong as Sika 11FC or Sika Pro+, so it should not be used if the gap exceeds 5mm in width.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Janew
Just Starting Out

Re: Sealing gap between garage floor and wall

Thank you so much Jacob, I appreciate the advice! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects