Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace tyres on an old furniture trolley?

gnicholson
Building a Reputation

How to replace tyres on an old furniture trolley?

We have borrowed this trolley to help us shift furniture to the garage as house is being styled for market next month.

One of the wheels is continually flat and goes down even when pumped up. I went to Bunnings last week and bought a new wheel. However, it is smaller, maybe they no longer make the same size. What is the difference between offset and pnuematic? The size is 27cm diameter of the old one, measured from one side of the tyre to the other. Could both wheels fit and work if smaller and is this a job we can do ourselves? Do you know anyone who would fix it if we can't?

Cheersold tyreold tyretrolley 1.jpgWould this fit? 254 mm is what the diameter?Would this fit? 254 mm is what the diameter?I bought this one as cheaper 250 mmI bought this one as cheaper 250 mmWould this fit?  $30.50Would this fit? $30.50

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing tyres on an old furniture trolley

Hi @gnicholson,

All those wheels are pneumatic, which means they are filled with air. The one that mentions offset is likely referring to the axle being offset.

If both wheels were replaced, you could likely use the slightly smaller versions. The other option would be to change the inner tube in the deflating wheel. The hub is bolted together on your wheel, so you can disassemble it to make the inner tube installation easier. 

Removing the split pin on the end of the axle is how to remove and replace the whole wheel. This is a relatively easy job that you can do yourself.

If you were to take the trolley to someone who services ride-on gardening equipment, they should be able to change the wheels or inner tube.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that will try a lawnmower person locally as we really don't have time to be trying it ourselves and then something goes wrong.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc I was wondering if this type of tyre repair product would work for @gnicholson and get them out of trouble in the short term?

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nailbag.

It could. We have a number of tyre sealants, but my preference would always be to resolve the issue rather than use one of them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good evening @gnicholson 

I'm just being curious - and wanting to know how you got on today - the outcome and price?

Cheers.

20240910_140159.jpg

gnicholson
Building a Reputation

No time today or tomorrow not needing trolley for a couple of weeks to move furniture so probably try Thursday or Friday at mower places.

Cheers

Well just picked up the trolley from the local mower place. They put a tube in the tyre. Cost $18 plus labour $25. To get a solid wheel was more than that. Given we don't own the trolley and will be giving it back happy with the lower amount. We could not have done this ourselves not being mechanical.

Thanks for all the suggeastions.

Thanks for the feedback.

In my case I would like to buy two new trolley wheels.

I had a quick look at Bunnings the other day - but wasn't feeling well.

They're 10" wheels.

Outside tyre diameter is around 290mm

Axle is 19mm diameter.

Those Sherlock wheels would fit?

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Glad to hear you got the wheels sorted @gnicholson 

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects