Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Hello Everyone!, I have a steel garden shed, 6m X 3m. Today, the left opening door (when looking front on) was caught in strong wind and the door was almost ripped off its hinges of which there are 3 in total with each secured by 6 rivets - 3 into the door frame and 3 into the shed frame. I have an idea or 2 how to fix, however, I thought I'd see if the Workshop Universe could make any recommendations that I have not thought of. See 3 pictures below. Regards, Chris

Shed 3.jpgShed 2.jpgShed 1.jpg

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Re: Re-hanging garden shed door

G’day Mike T, thanks for the feedback and you’re welcome. People like me who are jacks and Jill’s of all trades but masters of none are very fortunate to have access to people like you but we can’t expect you to be mind readers can we!? Hence the photos. I very much appreciate the quick responses from yourself and others. To close the loop on the shed door, there was not enough room between the door and frame to use screws of any kind so I used 150mm t hinges secured on both sides with security bolts through the metal and some merbau to strengthen the whole shibang and I put a chain on the door (thanks Dave). All the best mate, Chris

Re: Re-hanging garden shed door

Great, thanks for letting us know @BigFella1956

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jessle79
Getting Established

Re: How to re-hang a garden shed door?

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1752.jpeg

Hi Chris, I just stumbled upon this post, how did you end up fixing the hinge? I am facing the same issue after having already replaced the hinge with new rivets they failed and the doors fell off again really quickly. I bought stronger hinges and bigger rivets but they aren’t big enough and even the ones I used were too thick it makes the door not hang flush. I doubt my new fix will last long. 😂 so I’m keen to hear if your ideas worked! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jessle79,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's fantastic to have you with us.

Please allow me to tag @BigFella1956 so they are notified of your question.

To add a possible solution to the problem, I would suggest moving the hinges up or down by around 100-150mm so they are no longer near the old holes. It is likely you are having issues because the metal where the old holes are is quite deformed. Moving the hinges to fresh metal will give them a much better surface to attach to.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to assist further if required.

Jacob

jessle79
Getting Established

Hi Jacob, thank you so much for your reply! 🙏 I’m not sure how to allow a tag? Sorry I’m only new 😂 or have you already tagged him and I don’t need to do anything? 🫣

Thanks for your suggestions, some of the holes were new on the other hinge but I couldn’t move the second one because the drill bits all snapped no matter how gentle I was (unfortunately they were brand new too) 😩 

Can you recommend a better set than this for aluminium? 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-19-piece-metric-high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set_p0056805?store=7385...

thanks, Jess 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jessle79,

Not a worry, I have tagged them, so they have been notified. 

If you'd like to do so in future, simply put an @ followed by their username.

The best drill bits I've found for drilling metal are cobalt tipped, but they are fairly pricy. The Sutton Viper drill bits are also a good option.

Aluminium is a fairly soft metal, so any drill bits should work, but trust me when I say I have snapped my fair share in my time. It usually happens when you punch through and hit a second layer of metal. As the drill is spinning, it becomes accustomed to the torsional forces applied to it, when it suddenly hits a new surface, the different level of torque snaps the drill bit.

Start slowly with a small drill bit to punch through, then move up to the bigger drill bit in the size you are looking to drill. Start slowly and apply consistent pressure, you will start to feel when the metal is about to give way. When you feel it start to give way, ease off on the trigger and lessen the pressure, this will hopefully stop any further snapped drill bits.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good evening @jessle79 

I could be wrong, but is the door on the left?

I had some long-winded suggestions - but thinking about this over a glass of wine (or two) I believe I would go to Bunnings and buy a length of 20mm gal square and cut to length to the height of your shed.

Drill out all those rivets seen on the right.

Insert the tube and bolt into place - something like this...

20240817_164411.jpg

Maybe top/bottom/middle positions.

This then provides a new metal canvas to screw, rivet or whatever, but in the reverse direction - into the tube.

I hope you sort out your drilling issues.

I agree with @JacobZ  - cobalt! 😁

Cheers.

ONE.jpg

jessle79
Getting Established

Thanks heaps @Noyade 

That would seem like a really solid fix, I just don’t know if I can drill through the steel square tube as I’m already failing dismally trying to get through the thin aluminium and I only have a cheap household type battery drill 😖 thanks for the suggestion for the cobalt tip drill bits, I’ll get some when I go to Bunnings next

I hope you’re enjoying your wine!  ☺️

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @jessle79 

Just to add to "snapping drill bits" :smile: Yeah Ive snapped a fair few. Generally when I am tired and not paying attention and/or it leads into me forcing the drill and not drilling straight. The drill bit is hardend steel and has very little flex, So me pushing off center with the drill and trying to "force" the drill bit to do my bidding and "SNAP" its gone. 

@JacobZ 's instructions on drilling are spot on, Ive used cheap drill bits and generally dont have any issue with them. They may blunt faster is all.

Dave

jessle79
Getting Established

@Dave-1 @Noyade 

just going back to the snapping drill bits issue. One thing I am struggling with is the tip moving out of position before it grabs hold. My holes end up all over the place. If I put to much pressure to hold it in place the bit snaps.

Should I maybe be trying to clamp the hinge in place and use that as a guide somehow? Drilling into the aluminium accurately seems to just be taking so long and I’m no good at it. 

I have a lot less issues with accuracy when drilling into wood because it grabs easily! Thanks again for your help guys ☺️ 

Jess 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects