Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a large gap in roof?

Ejay
Just Starting Out

How to fill a large gap in roof?

Hello! Me and my fiance are trying to find ways to cover the gap at our garage as I want to turn it into a home salon and to start off we want to cover the gap to prevent any water coming through. We are currently renting and we don't want to use anything permanent to cover the gap just Incase if we do move in the near future, our landlord is aware I am planning opening my home base salon at the garage and is fine with us covering the gap just as long there isn't too much damage. There isn't anything wrong with the garage it has good space it's the roof that is designed that way, our landlord said if we want to make any extra changes to it such as covering the roof gap then it's up to us meaning we have to pay the stuff to cover it. 

We did went to our local Bunnings and looked at the Suntuf Black Greca Foam Infill but it seems waaay to thin for the gap (wish bunnings had them thicker aswell!) my fiance thinks some extra foam to add to the suntuf, but we are open to other suggestions. Thank you! 

IMG20240927162617.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a large gap in roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Ejay! It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling the gap in your garage roof.

Since you're renting and want a non-permanent solution, I understand the need for something effective yet easy to remove when you move. Covering the gap with a 92 x 18mm 5.4m H3 Treated Pine FJ DAR Primed LOSP is a good option, as it's durable, weather-resistant, and relatively easy to install. You can cut it to size to fit snugly between the roof frames, and it can be secured with screws or nails into the beams. This would provide a semi-permanent fix that won't cause significant damage and could be painted to match the surrounding timber, making it blend in seamlessly.

If you're looking for something even less invasive, another option might be expanding foam sealant, which is flexible and fills irregular gaps. For larger gaps, you could use a combination of foam gap filler strips and augment it with weatherproof sealant or additional foam as your fiancé suggested. This would provide a snug fit, and since it's easily removable, it’s ideal for renters.

Consider checking with your landlord to ensure they’re comfortable with any installation you choose, but it sounds like they're quite flexible.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so so much! Definitely will take this up with the landlord, think he'll be fine with it long there isn't too much damage but it's still good to go over those options with him. 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Ejay 

Just a side note from the excellent advice by @MitchellMc, is the garage conversion to a salon a business venture? I ask as aside from permission from the landlord you will most likely need some form of permit/s from local council to meet what typically are very strict approvals.

Nailbag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ejay 

Would some bent galvanised flashing work?

I can't tell if that is a beam of another roof in the background?

This was installed to prevent silky oak leaves entering a gutter - where there was a gap from roof to pergola.

Good luck!

20241003_071307.jpg

Ejay
Just Starting Out

I've already had that taken care of with the council 

Ejay
Just Starting Out

That's another good option! Do appreciate it and will also run this with my fiance and the landlord.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects