Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden shed?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

How to build a wooden shed?

Hi all, I am about to build a small wooden garden storage shed (3m wide x 2.4m deep) on a gravel base. I have been soaking up tutorials, reading the various excellent posts on this forum and on wooden framing and feel fairly confident about most stages but there are a few grey areas that I would love the community guidance on (and will likely lean on you for tips along the way!).

I previously prepped the ground and laid a gravel pad. The plan is to put 2 x 6 treated joists directly into TuffBlocks as the base of the shed and build on top of that.

So my questions are:

Flooring

1. I am looking at treated yellow tongue STRUCAflor is this suitable or is there a better alternative? Treated plywood looks very expensive but I don't mind paying if it means increased longevity.

2. Silly question, but given the fact an exposed tongue in these boards will be at one edge of the shed. Do you just cut these off or just fill the gap with sealant?

Walls

1. What options do I have for external wooden wall panels? I would like something that looks nicer than particleboard or OSB. Is there an outdoor option of these slotted panels? I guess I could use weatherboards but curious at alternatives.

2. Should I use building wrap?

Roofing

1. What are my options here? Just colourbond sheets? If yes, should I still put a plywood/OSB roof on and apply the colourbond to that or just attach it straight to the rafters? I assume I would have lots of gaps if I attach directly to the rafters.

2. If colourbond is the way to go, I'm curious to know what you use so that you don't just have sharp raw edges and what to use for the apex of a pitched roof?

Fasteners

I'm going to use screws instead of nails for framing (Personal preference, if I had a nailgun it might be different 😄). So I don't want to have to pre-drill or anything. What gauge is best, 12g? or thicker? Something like these Buildex RapidDrive Treated Pine Screws 12g x 75mm?

I think that's all I need to know at the moment, once I have these answers I can make my materials order and get stuck in!

Thanks so much

Re: How to build a wooden shed?

What a thing of beauty @mikebarker! Love your work! That must feel amazing to get to this point. You've done such a great job.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Yeah I'm really pleased! I just need to make a door, planning to either 90 x 45 or 90 x 35 pine for the main door structure with a plywood sheet on the front, clad with colorbond to match. 

What plywood would you recommend? Treated plywood seems hard to come by/really expensive. If there isn't a better option, could I seal the plywood sheet for some waterproofing? It will be mostly covered with colorbond but might have some water going on it.

Good Morning @mikebarker 

:laugh: Cheering! Thats a nice looking shed! :smile: It blends in nicely and looks solid!

Being a door I would go for treated plywood as a backing. You have put so much effort into the shed imagine the frustration in a yeras time when the cheaper plywood expands a little and your door isnt as easy to close as it was comes to mind 😕 I know towards the end of a project where we just want things done and to stop costing :smile: it is tempting. I just find it bites us in the you know what long term.

How many times  have you walked out and just stood looking at what you have built! :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mikebarker 

I totally agree it is a thing of beauty! In regards to your door project, I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to build an entrance door by @Smithrj. Mitchell gives a very good explanation on what parts you'll need to build a door and the practicality of purchasing a prebuilt door. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Dave-1 Thanks! Yeah blending in was the idea, I would have preferred a dangerous-looking darker one but the missus favoured a blend in... plus a darker one would have cooked the contents in summer!

Ok noted, I'll get some treated from somewhere. 9mm ok you reckon? I can 12mm too.

@EricL Ah great suggestion! But I'm afraid I purposely made it a wider door so it's 1150mm-ish much wider than any of the off-the-shelf doors from what I can see?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects