Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get permission for carport kit installation?

kkykoko
Community Newcomer

How to get permission for carport kit installation?

Dear Bunnisg workshop  team

Hi,This is Thomas

I plan to purchase a carport kit from Bunnings for installation on a concrete base that has already been prepared.

The dimensions of the carport are 6m by 6m. I understand that I will need a council permit to proceed with the installation.

Could you please advise on the following:

How should I go about obtaining the necessary council permit for installing the Bunnings carport kit?
I believe I need to submit detailed plans and obtain a quote from a builder as part of the permit process.

Can you confirm if this is correct?

Can you provide an estimate of the cost of obtaining the council permit for this type of installation?

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get permission for carport kit installation?

Hello @kkykoko 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing your carport kit.

In order for us to provide you with more information, can you please tell us exactly which carport you'll be purchasing? Once you provide us with that information, we'll be able to provide you with more details regarding your installation. I suggest looking at your local council's website or giving them a call to get more information regarding carport installation. From there you'll also see the fees involved and what you'll need submit to get a permit.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kkykoko 

You will definitely need council approval and possibly a planning permit as well depending on the intended location for that sized carport.

You have two options of either submitting the plans yourself or contacting a local draftsperson to draw them up and submit them on your behalf.They would also know if a planning permit was also required. The 2nd option is to draw the plans up yourself. They don't need to be as good as a draftsperson would draw them up, but you will be required to provide all the necessary views/elevations, materials, fixings and footings etc. And there will be inspections required at various points of build. This is down by a local surveyor which you would also have to pay a fee for. Your local council's building department would advise on all these points.

For all the renovations I have done requiring permits I have always gone with option A, using the draftsperson.

Nailbag

kkykoko
Community Newcomer

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your prompt response and advice. The carport I am looking to purchase is the

Absco Structures 6.0 x 6.0 x 2.98m Zincalume Double Gable Carport.

I have already checked my local council's website, which mentions a permit is required.

However, I wanted to confirm if Bunnings offers any guidance or assistance in preparing

the necessary documents (e.g., plans or quotes from a builder) for the council permit application, especially for this specific carport kit.

Any further advice or assistance regarding this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kkykoko,

The instruction manual for the Absco Structures 6.0 x 6.0 x 2.98m Monument Double Gable Carport gives information on what is required and has engineering drawings for submission to your local council.

Unfortunately, Bunnings does not offer assistance with preparing documents for council submission or assistance with dealing with builders.

As the manufacturer, Absco will likely be able to provide you with the best advice on their product. You can contact them on 1800 029 701 in Australia and 0800 466 444 in New Zealand. They may be able to assist with recommendations for installers and guidance on attaining your council's approval.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

kkykoko
Community Newcomer

Do I also need to obtain a council permit for the Absco Sheds 3.0 x 5.5 x 2.25m Zincalume Skillion Roof Single Carport?" 

Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kkykoko,

Yes, the Absco Sheds 3.0 x 5.5 x 2.25m Zincalume Skillion Roof Single Carport Boxed will also require council approval. In the same way as above, the instruction manual has information on this along with engineered drawings for this carport.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects