Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a steel shed?

hermanjoe
Just Starting Out

How to build a steel shed?

Hi Bunnings Community,

I'm planning on building a steel Shed, just wanting to know the depth for the post's, type of post, concrete, how to calculate the slope for water runoff on the roof and how to use the plumb line perfectly to make it square.

The height of the shed 3.5mtr and length 5-6 meter, width about 3 meter.

Thanking you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a steel shed?

Hi @hermanjoe,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The place to start with this kind of build is usually with your local council to enquire about the need for building approval. Due to the size of your proposed shed, they will likely require engineered plans to be submitted for approval.

An engineer will design a suitable method of anchoring the shed and define materials, hardware and parameters for construction. 

A good slope for a shed roof is around 15° of pitch. This means for every metre of horizontal distance; the roof sheets will rise 27cm.

To get things nice and square, you can use the 3-4-5 method: measure 3 meters along one side from the corner post and 4 meters along the other side. The diagonal between these points should be exactly 5 meters. Adjust the posts as needed until everything is square. Regularly check that each post is plumb as you work.

You can check out How To Set Out A Deck for a guide on setting out your project.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a steel shed?

Hi @hermanjoe,

There are also options that will fit the footprint that you've described such as this EnduraShed 6 x 3 x 2.4m Tall Truss Roof Garden Shed, however I'm not aware of a kit shed that will fit your height requirement of 3.5 metres.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects