Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a motorcycle dolly?

Cho787
Just Starting Out

How to build a motorcycle dolly?

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

  

Hi all, 

I am trying to build this motorcycle dolly to be able to manoeuvre it around the garage easily. I have attached some photos. This may be out of my skill set but looking to try out and thought you guys could help me get started.

cheers,

Anthony 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: parts to build a motorcylce dolly

Afternoon @Cho787 

I had a quick Google - this one looked promising and an easy build...

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cho787,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The example @Noyade has linked to looks like it would work, but you need to take into consideration the weight applied. If you have a heavy motorcycle than the one in the video, you may need to use thicker materials or add additional bracing. 

I imagine you could also fashion something out of steel RHS, Metal Mate 2400 x 600 x 2mm Tread Plate and suitably strong heavy-duty castors.

Allow me to tag @Nailbag, @Dave-1 and @DIYGnome to see if they have any ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Cho787 

Depending on the value and weight of your bike, I would be seriously considering a purpose built trolly. Though reasonably easy to build, the cost of materials and time vs what's readily available isn't vastly different. I can say this with experience as I have a 250kgs adventure bike that I need to do a 5-point turn in order to ride it straight out of my garage nest time round.

There are a lot of considerations besides structural build like height in order to ride the bike on to the trolly but still have a solid foot on the ground to disembark without dropping it. if your keen to built it yourself, definitely stick with metals over timber as its will be a lighter, slimmer and lower profile over any timber one.

Regards, Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Cho787 

I like the idea but as I read through both @JacobZ and @Nailbag 's warnings really came to the front of mind. 

Not sure how heavy your bike is or how large.

But a "Purpose built" dolly may be the way to go. Something that has cost you $$$$ or more Id be a little cautious of making something up unless you are an experienced welder. I dont ride a bike but have been told that picking up a fallen over bike can be a little hard...

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects