Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add plasterboard sheets to garage ceiling?

damien-22
Cultivating a Following

How to add plasterboard sheets to garage ceiling?

IMG_5504.jpeg

Wanting to sheet my garage…

what’s the best/cheapest way to sheet the ceiling, plaster or plywood?

is there another option?

I think the walls be ok as brick, just want do the ceiling to clean it up and make it look more neat, less dirty…

any ideas?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: garage ceiling

Evening @damien-22 

Mmmm Id go for plaster sheeting with some extra noggings/timber between the beams.

Mostly because of the weight and I think it will give a cleaner look.

One concern tho. Are the cross beams sitting on that rail or do they go into the brickwork to support the roof? If they sit on the rail only I would suggest to strengthen it to hold the weight of the roof plus the plaster ceiling. Also the width of the garage, is it a single or double garage?

Last suggestion :smile: I would out some insulation above the plaster. The garage will be a lot cooler then :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add plasterboard sheets to garage ceiling?

Hi @damien-22 

Firstly you would need to add additional joists running length-wise to fix any sheet to at 1200mm centres. Plasterboard is cheap, but then you need to finish all the joins for a cleaner finish. So more work and $. Plywood would then be the simplest solution. For a pretty cool look, I really like using OSB board. I've made several man cave's and used it on walls. I have installed it over plasterboard in my garage and then hung memorabilia and looks great. I would also go with insulating with earth wool as @Dave-1 suggested. And/or a whirly bird setup to let heat escape.

Nailbag

damien-22
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for both the suggestions!

the osb board sounds like an easier option, can it be painted white? Or left as is?

for the joists, just pine? What size would be needed?

thanks!!

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @damien-22 

OSB board can be painted. Tho I like the natural colour. White would also be more of a cool colur.

And for the joists, mayeb 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine 3.6m (thinking of the weight is all, so thats why the 90*45)

Dave

It's great to see that @Nailbag and @Dave-1 have already made some helpful suggestions, @damien-22.

OSB can be varnished to good effect. As Dave mentioned, you can paint it, but you'll need a few heavy coats to cover over the texture of the board.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
damien-22
Cultivating a Following

Ok, I assume the OSB can be left just natural? Not painted or varnished?

and I can just screw this up, using what screws?

thanks!

Hi @damien-22 

OSB board has a sealed and an unsealed side, unless the supplier has changed at Bunnings @MitchellMc ? See side by side photo below. I wouldn't paint it as the point of using OSB is to see the timber pattern. Otherwise just use plywood.

It can be butt-joined together and if you have any gaps you can make up your own cover straps with an off-cut. When cutting the board, do so face down to reduce splintering on the sealed side. Also be VERY careful handling the cut edges as the splinters bite in very easily.

Nailbag

unsealed vs sealedunsealed vs sealedCover strapCover strapwhat it looks likewhat it looks like

damien-22
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for all the info nailbag!

that looks great! I think i will plan it out and go ahead with the osb !

much appreciate the input from everyone 

Excellent look forward to the finished photos!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects