Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation to garage roller door?

JJT2021
Finding My Feet

How to add insulation to garage roller door?

I have 2x garage roller doors and I am trying to find the right insulation to cut down temperature. Everything is about panel doors but it is hard to find about the old fashioned roller doors. I am also looking at the gap on top of the roller door which allows dust and heat to come through.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garage roller door insulation.

Hi @JJT2021,

Due to the nature of roller doors, any insulation you add to the back of them would need to roll up with the door when lifting. If you were to install insulation of a significant thickness, it could bind in the roll and prevent door usage. 

Do you intend to continue using the doors? If so, there is a chance that you could use GI Building Sciences 10mm 1.5 x 20m 30m² Reflecta Guard Plus as that is a thinnish product. You'd still need to check the space between the rolled layers to ensure any product within them doesn't get damaged or bind the door. Check out @bluesue's discussion on How to install Ametalin liner. They ended up using the GI Building Sciences product on their roller door.

You might like to supply some images fo the gap at the top of the door so our members have a better understanding of what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

The first step would be to try and minimise this gap as much as possible by installing a solid panel. From this panel, you can attach garage door seals to further close the gap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: garage roller door insulation.

Thanks, for the advice, I will post pictures when I start the job.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects