Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How many ufo highbay lights will my garage need?

Tooltony
Just Starting Out

How many ufo highbay lights will my garage need?

Hi Guys , , I need some help , im building a 12m x 8m garage stud height 3m ,top of roof 4.5m  , can someone advise on how many led ufo high bay lights I will need  , I have 3 bays of 4m , wide and I like it bright , im thinking  6 x ufo led highbay lights 100 - 150 watt led 

Your opinions would be great 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How many ufo highbay lights will my garage need?

Hello @Tooltony 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your questions about UFO high bay lights for your garage.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - UFO LED high bay lighting by @Conair400. There are so many things to consider now regarding UFO lights such as lumen output, beam angle and height of UFO light. There were many suggestions and links provided which I think you'll find useful when you do your calculations for your lights. I also suggest thinking about augmenting your UFO bay lights with LED strip lights for more efficient area lighting. These strip light can be attached to timber moulding and installed alongside your UFO lights. You can also install LED strip lights near your worktable.

From a general point of view 6 UFO lights would be the minimum I would put in. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Tooltony 

Must admit I havnt come across those types of lighst before (Tho also admit I never use my garage as a garage :smile: ) Will follow along with interest.

I have used different types of lighting to highlight differeant areas and to change the hue of my garage. So my only suggestion when fitting out a room is to think of more then one purpose the garage could be used for. (As in a softer lighting when the supeer bright isnt needed)

Dave

Tooltony
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the info Eric 

You indicated that you would use 6 ufo lights , but what wattage lights would you suggest  , I agree with 6 lights ,just undecided on wattage 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tooltony,

Anywhere between 100-150 watts will be more than sufficient for this space. 

As you've indicated you'd like it to be bright, 150 watts sounds like the way to go.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects