Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any Jarrah Power Carving ideas or tips?

Monument
Building a Reputation

Any Jarrah Power Carving ideas or tips?

I have fairly recently started power wood carving. No whittling for me, I have an Arbortech power mini grinder, AEG electric plane, Milwaukee 9" 18V chainsaw and orbital sander as well as a Dremel for detail work. I was gifted these Jarrah logs - so far I have worked with softer woods.

I would like to make some creative pieces out of them but am a bit stuck for ideas. Doesn't necessarily have to be functional pieces, more something that does the timber justice and shows off its natural beauty.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated and also if any more experienced carvers on here that have practical tips would be fantastic.

Cheers.

B.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any Jarrah Power Carving ideas/tips

Hi @Monument,

Thank you for your post about carving jarrah logs.

This immediately reminded me of a house I used to walk past on my way to primary school. An older gentleman who had carved the bottom half of enormous trees into what resembled easter island heads. I remember being spooked by them as a 5–6-year-old but I learnt to love them as I grew older.

The older I got, the more I was confused by the logistics of what he'd done, because these things were 2+ metres tall and probably 3m in circumference. I wish I could ask him how he managed it, but unfortunately the house was sold, and his wonderful carvings are no longer there.

It's a fantastic hobby and I suppose the world is your oyster in terms of what is possible. 

You could make functional things like bowls, picture frames or even maybe a stool that could be used while carving other projects. 

You could make decorative things like the easter island heads I used to walk by, or even a favourite animal or totem maybe. 

Whatever you choose to create, I'd suggest giving it a coat of a natural oil such as Cabot's Clear Danish Oil or Gilly's 100% Pure Tung Oil and to share some photos. I'd absolutely love to see whatever you choose to create.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas or inspiration they can offer, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @Nailbag @DIYGnome.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Monument 

Now that is interesting, Ive thought of trying it but always fear the "kickback" of the tools :smile: Think I have chopped up too many trees and split themover the years. 

My first thought of what you could carve was a "tree" lol yeah, I see the funny side. But to add to it, the three pieces you have need to be "locked together with a carved wooden pin that matches the carved hole in the piece below. Plus the "trunk" of the middle one needs to be made smaller with the bark removed from all. Think Christmas tree with one branch and no leaves :smile: Followed up with the Danish oil that @JacobZ has mentioned! 

Please take photos if you do that :smile: That would be an inspiring project for sure!

Dave

Monument
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the suggestion @Dave-1 I hadn't thought of anything on that scale but it would be amazing to do.

I highly recommend power carving if creating unique pieces with the beauty of all types of wood interests you.

The Arbortech carvers, although not cheap, have ease of use and are designed to be fit for purpose. I've hurt myself with power tools working with metal (not in a serious way thankfully) in restoring motorbikes but haven't had as much as a cut wood carving (touch wood!!!).

Thanks again for the idea! 

Monument
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ I really appreciate your reply.

I love Gilly's stuff, it brings out the beauty of timber so well and the waxes offer lasting protection.

Will post up images when I have some finished pieces.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects