Workshop
Ask a question

How do I fix the hole in the bathroom wall?

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

How do I fix the hole in the bathroom wall?

When I removed a tile above the bath, it took half the plaster with it.  Do I need to put another piece of plaster board under the cement sheeting? HELP

20240716_121612.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix the hole in the bathroom wall?

Hi @Jeanagh,

You will need to install wet-area plasterboard in that area to re-install the tile. Typically, in that location, there will also be a waterproof membrane painted over the plasterboard to stop water that sits on the bath edge from being wicked into the sheeting. It's considered a wet area of a bathroom. Grout is also not waterproof, so any water that lands on it can be sucked into the wall. We touched on this in your other discussion about the shower recess. Removing a tile will likely damage the wall behind and also the waterproofing membrane. Membranes can't be patch-repaired, and repairing to most waterproofers' standards would require removing all the wall tiles, new sheeting, and a new membrane. Then, re-tiling can be done.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I fix the hole in the bathroom wall?

Hi Mitchell, unfortunately I can't afford to do the whole wall so I'm going to have to patch it best I can.  I've already got cement sheeting and the waterproofing membrane from the shower repair ( I ended up redoing that whole wall.  Looks good if I do say so). Will just need to get some plaster board. I'll go to Bunnings a see what they have. 

I'll include a picture of my shower so far.  

1000009187.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects