Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make shiny floor tiles matte?

threemonkeys
Growing in Experience

How to make shiny floor tiles matte?

IMG20240713131114.jpg

IMG20240717000646.jpg

I have this ugly 70s floor tile in my kitchen and bathroom. I can work around the colour, what's bothering me is the concrete grout darkening when it gets wet and the shiny permanently greasy looking finish on the tile, the floor never looks clean. The floor is in pretty good condition and I'm on a budget so I'm reluctant to just rip it up.

I'm thinking about painting the grout white and doing something to the tile surface to give it more of a matte stone-like finish.

What methods or products are available to knock the gloss off the tile? Could I just sand it? Would etching, or a tinted tile varnish in a matte finish work? I don't want to paint a solid colour because I just know someone's going to drag a washing machine or a fridge across it at some point.

Also the skirting boards were ripped out at some point, probably from water damage, what are my options as far as PVC or tiling or something else around the edges? Do I even need to do that or is it enough just to have the right surface prep and paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make shiny floor tiles matte?

Hi @threemonkeys,

Love your idea of using the grout paint; smart move. 

Any product, whether it be paint or varnish that you apply to the surface of the tile, risks being scratched off. Personally, I think I'd try the abraiding route and do a test section in an inconspicuous area. Perhaps start with a 400-grit sandpaper to see if that knocks the gloss back enough for you.

For the skirting, we have a number of PVC profiles that would suit your needs. They are waterproof and perfect for your wet area. It's likely not essential to have anything on the edges, but it certainly would provide a better level of finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Can Bunnings cut the skirting angles for me in store if I measure it? I don't have the tools to get a clean angled edge and I have to transport the trim, easier to do when it's cut. It's only 5.34m in total, 8 pieces. I was also looking at the bendable vinyl that you can cut with a Stanley knife, I haven't seen it here.

Also I'd like to get a vanity unit installed, I don't know which one and if I'll need to replace the sink. I need some cabinetry fixes in the kitchen as well. They're small spaces so they'll need to be custom.

Unfortunately, our saws can only do right-angled cuts in timber and not angled @threemonkeys. The team should be able to cut the lengths down by hand so you can transport them. I am unaware of any thin vinyl skirting.

For your vanity and cabinetry fixes, you might want to advertise jobs through services such as hipages and Airtasker. I'd be more than happy to help you select an appropriate replacement vanity and sink if needed.

Mitchell

Ok, I tried sanding a test patch, it didn't do anything to it 😭 any wonder they're in such good condition they're indestructible. I might need something a bit more industrial strength to cut through the glazing.

You can go to 240-grit @threemonkeys. I'd also suggest using Diablo 125mm 240 Grit Multi Surface Orbital Sanding Discs instead of something like Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll as it has much better cutting power.

I've just noted the textured surface, which raises concerns about the finish you'll achieve by sanding. You'll be able to hit the peaks of the texture but not the valleys. Given this, the appearance isn't going to be uniform, and I'm concerned about how that would look. It could end up just looking mottled.

Perhaps you might like to investigate professional services that could acid each of the tiles to remove the gloss. They would probably be professionals that deal with rectifying slippery surfaces.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects