Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to handle 25mm floor transition?

LAP
Getting Established

How to handle 25mm floor transition?

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpegHow do I best handle a 25mm transition from a newly installed bathroom to hallway timber floor ?  Most of my internet searching shows a standard 10mm riser to help the transition but nothing covers 25mm ? Any advice appreciated 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to handle 25mm floor transition?

Hi @LAP,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

My suggestion is to use a piece of Porta 23 x 23mm 2.7m Quad Meranti to protect people's feet from kicking the lip. While not perfectly 25mm, it is the best size I can find to suit this particular height of transition.

It could be stuck in place with a combination of Liquid Nails and brad nails shot down into the hardwood flooring.

This should give you a nice clean finish that will match the flooring beneath quite well.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any other ideas, @Noyade, @Jewelleryrescue, @Dave-1, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

LAP
Getting Established

Thanks @JacobZ  .. that sounds perfect I’ll check it out 🙏

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LAP I had the same solution as @JacobZ. There isn't another tapered profile thats close without a small lip such as 19mm tri-quad

Just make sure you prime the timber before painting.

Nailbag

LAP
Getting Established

Thanks also for the info , either will work I’ll just check which is available locally at Bunnings  @Nailbag  appreciate your help 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @LAP 

I have about the same distance in height for my bathroom to timber floor. For mine its just a straight edge type deal  Brutus 25 x 25 x 2.5mm x 2.4m Angle Building Moulding.

I do like @JacobZ 's suggestion of the round nose trim to stop toes jabbing easily tho.

If you dont like that type of edge you could always make up a slower transition sloped door sill from timber. (I havent tried to make one as yet) tho a bench saw would be useful in this situation to cut such a shallow angle. (I would still includ say a 5mm front lip of thetimber) just so you dont have that fine angle of timber to break off.

Dave

LAP
Getting Established

Thanks @Dave-1  another great idea , this forum is excellent, first time I’ve used it .. 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LAP just a thought though not as neat which is personal taste but you could look at some of the skirting options if you prefer a deeper transition. Either way the timber materials we have suggested are pretty standard in all stores and found in the indoor timber section at the trade end. 

Nailbag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

My thoughts as per @Nailbag above @LAP 

But then, I have the incredible ability of tripping over anything.

I personally would be looking for (or making) a tapered wood profile.

Whether it be from an electric planer, belt sander or rip saw.

Just don't break a hip.

Cheers.

20240813_124805.jpg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LAP This is the pre-made skirting profile I was thinking and looks to be the same as @Noyade DIY version. Its found in the indoor timber section.

Nailbag

IMG_8600.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects