Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When do you need to replace insulation?

cougar_df
Getting Established

When do you need to replace insulation?

Hi, my present home was built 19 years ago and came with full wall and ceiling insulation, including roof sarking.
I believe batts were used for this purpose. Do they break down and have to be replaced after a certain period of time? If so, how they do they get replaced, especially in the walls?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Home Insulation

Hey there, @cougar_df!

Insulation batts are actually made from materials like glass wool or fibreglass. The great news is that their expected lifespan is around 100 years! So, unless some specific damage has been done to them, it's unlikely that they have broken down. In some cases, vermin in the roof cavity or walls could cause some degradation, but it's typically not a major concern. So you can rest assured that your insulation is probably doing just fine. It's worth noting that while loose-fill insulation can compress over time and lose efficiency, batts generally don't suffer from the same issue. So that's one less thing to worry about.

If you're worried about the performance of your current insulation, it might be worth looking into other areas of your home that could be affecting its efficiency. We have a helpful guide on How to keep your home warm in winter that you might find useful.

If you do decide to replace insulation in your roof cavity, it's a relatively straightforward job. It involves removing the existing insulation and installing the new batts. On the other hand, replacing insulation in walls can be a bit more involved, as it may require removing wall sheeting or exterior cladding to access the cavity.

I'm here to help if you have any more questions. Just let me know!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Home Insulation

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for your very reassuring and helpful reply. I was concerned with the level of difficulty replacing the wall insulation in particular but it's so good to know I don't have to worry about that now!

The article on How to keep your home warm in winter is very handy as well and I'll be implementing some of those suggestions.

Thanks again for being so helpful!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects