Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What untreated timber for a baby play gym?

MariaT
Just Starting Out

What untreated timber for a baby play gym?

I am planning to make a simple A-frame baby play gym for my newborn niece.

61CH+L1id8L._SX466_

(1) Can anyone suggest suitable timber to use?

(2) Are any of these untreated, not fumigated (I believe it is required for imported timber), and also not treated with anti-sapstain or other chemicals?

Thanks!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What untreated timber can I get for my project?

Hi @MariaT,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

What a great project, I'm sure you and your niece will be able to create many wonderful memories with it.

All three products you've linked to are untreated and structurally suitable for this purpose, but I believe the Specrite 70x35 is imported, so it may have undergone a fumigation process. If this is an issue for you, then I would remove this from your potential selection.

Of these products, based on price, I would suggest the Porta 42 x 30mm 1.2m DAR Rectangle General Purpose Pine is the way to go.

It is a DAR (dressed-all-round) product, so it has undergone a planing process and is smooth all around with very little potential for splinters, but the corners will be sharp, so you'll need to round them off a bit.

I'd suggest giving the faces a once over to ensure there's no splinters and rounding the edges with some 80 Grit Timber Sandpaper and a UNi-PRO Cork Sanding Block.

Let me know if you have any further questions and please share some photos of the finished product, it would be great to see what you come up with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects