Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a kokedama

ehill
Having an Impact

How to make a kokedama

Have you ever wondered what those plant-wrapped-balls of twine are? Me toooooo!!! Turns out they're an ancient Japanese art form of wrapping a plant in soil, moss and twine! They're called "Kokedame" balls and they provide a beautifully unique way to style your plants indoors!!!  Big thank you to Bunnings Cannington for providing this workshop! 

kokedama ball so happy.png

Materials

You will need: 

A stocking sock - makes for a very clever hack!!! 

Spaghnum moss - https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-150g-sphagnum-moss-block_p3010215 

Soil for indoor plants - I think we used Bailey's I'll double check

Jute twine- you can also add coloured thread! https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-75m-jute-twine_p4310292 

We used spaghnum moss but you can also use hessian or coco huskWe used spaghnum moss but you can also use hessian or coco husk

Oh and of course a plant! I used Devil's Ivy because I like how the leaves look like love hearts AND they're an easy plant to not kill - apparently but we'll see :wink: ha!

You could use a variety of different plants including orchids! As long as they're in an area that provides them with enough light and you keep your ball moist. "Most" indoor plants should work - but maybe ask your local Bunnings expert if you're not sure!!

prepped and readyprepped and ready

Tools

Hands - wrap wrap wrap! 

Gloves - https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-23-5cm-cotton-calico-glove_p0256789 and https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-kids-cotton-gloves_p0256799 

A small spade(?), optional

Buckets for your spaghnum - needs to be soaked (but not sooooooaked) 

Bucket for your soil, optional ( can just go straight from the bag hehe)

Scissors to cut your twine

Space you don't mind getting dirty

AND

A friend (or two) - both to enjoy the fun and to help load up your stocking!

use your hands to mould and wrap!use your hands to mould and wrap!

Steps

Step 1

Take your stocking sock and fill it with soil - a good decent handful. Best way is to put your hand in the sock and grab the soil this way. Like at the deli when they grab the salami? If that makes sense hahaha 

Open...Open...Shut them!Shut them!A nice decent handfulA nice decent handfulGrab it like a deli meat!Grab it like a deli meat!

Step 2

Release your plant from its pot and place it inside the stocking, soil and all. Then open the stocking as wide as you can - a friend is very valuable at this point in time as they can hold the stocking wide for you whilst you load it up with soil. 

Squeeze the sides of the pot to release the soil pressureSqueeze the sides of the pot to release the soil pressureOooh this might be the best I've ever done! Look at that perfect shape!Oooh this might be the best I've ever done! Look at that perfect shape!

Step 3

Shake your sock up and down to get it all in one big lumped section - you DON'T want it looking like a sausage!!! 

This is a sausage shape - big no!This is a sausage shape - big no!This is a round ball shape - big yes!This is a round ball shape - big yes!

The stocking will be covered up the top so don't worry if there's excess lip of stocking where it meets the plant. 

It will be covered with the twine :)It will be covered with the twine :smile:The overhang is a-ok!The overhang is a-ok!

Step 4

Grab some of the spaghnum and squeeze out any excess water. You want it to still be wet but not dripping - more easily 'clumpable'. 

Pack it UP, AROUND and UNDER your planted stocking. 

To start myself off I placed some spaghnum on the table then put my plant on top before starting up the sides. This helped to create a base. (Biscuits! Sorry, I seem to have lost my picture of this :unhappy: I guess I'll just have to make another kokedame ball :laugh: )

Build the spaghnum up from the bottom to the sidesBuild the spaghnum up from the bottom to the sides

Step 5

WRAP AWAY!!!! It looks a bit blergh and feels like you're losing you're ball shape but use your hands to keep squishing it back into the ball shape as you wind the twine around and around! The hardest part would be getting the twine UNDER the "ball" but slowly and surely I worked it out - I lost some spaghnum moss along the way but you can shove that in as you continue wrapping your ball! 

Build the spaghnum up from the bottom to the sidesBuild the spaghnum up from the bottom to the sides

NB: If you have a plant that is obtrusive like my Devil's Ivy (the leaves kept getting stuck in my twine as I wrapped) you can hold it upside down to help keep the plant out of it. Or better yet, it's just another great way a friend comes in handy for this project! 

Step 6

Once you've finished wrapping dump you're ball in a bucket of water - that's right just chuck it in and fill it up! 

Fill 'er up! Once you're finished dump the water over some plants so you don't waste the water!!! #waterwiseFill 'er up! Once you're finished dump the water over some plants so you don't waste the water!!! #waterwise

Give it a few hours in the tub then let it drip dry a bit outside before taking it indoors to hang up! 

The air bubbles coming out of the ball give you an idea when it's full too. Or you can just drop them in and go back a few hours later when you remember like I did! 

Air bubblesAir bubblesLet it hang a bit before taking inside! This stump worked perfect!Let it hang a bit before taking inside! This stump worked perfect!

Step 7

I was my Mums friend :smile: We spent a fun afternoon giving it all another go. Full disclosure - it was a rescue plant that we found in a pot that has somehow only just been surviving in my lounge room - completely forgotten this guy needed a chance at new life! 

Multitasking is her middle name!Multitasking is her middle name!

Step 8

Our rescue plant is still in a bit of shock but hopefully he'll survive!!!

I also found this beauty on the side of the road and thought what a beautiful place to start my "Kokedame Kollection" I plan on making many many more!!! :smile: 

What a find!What a find!

Step 9

Soooo if NONE of that made sense... have no fear because Bunnings has you covered! We each got a print out of the instructions :wink: Which includes handy care instructions

The ACTUAL instructions!!!! You're welcome ;)The ACTUAL instructions!!!! You're welcome :wink:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kokedama Kollection!

You've done an amazing job with your Kokedama Kollection @ehill! The detailed steps and creative use of materials make it look so fun and accessible. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips—your Kokedama balls look fantastic! 

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
handiher19
Just Starting Out

Re: How to make a kokedama

Thank you for sharing this, i cant wait to do this with my kids 😀.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects