Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make my wooden floor shine?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How to make my wooden floor shine?

I think I have a hardwood floor and not a laminate, as the patterns are different on each board it looks like wood that has been given a perfect finish. Engineered? Please see the pics.

I want to give it a gloss/shine that is DIY. It has quite a bit, but since I will have open homes, a great shine does well.

Is there a polish that can be applied? Or, a varnish. The total area of coverage is 74 sqm. 

What product should I use?

What tools would I require?

How much quantity for the given area of 74 sqm?

How do I remove those scratch marks?

Prep advice please.

Thanks

Regards

Thanks

20240712_131633.jpg20240712_131648.jpg20240712_131658.jpg20240712_131714.jpg20240712_131734.jpg20240712_131747.jpg20240712_131751.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shining my wooden floor

Hi @Pcan,

It does appear that the flooring is some type of engineered floorboard. To restore the shine, you might like to try a product like Long Life 5L Mop and Glo Floor Cleaner or OCedar 450ml Clean and Shine Timber Floor Cleaner. They are wash-and-polish combination products that help return the shine of sealed timber floors. The only thing you'll need is a mop.

You'll require one 5L bottle of the Mop and Glo, or if you use the OCedar, you'll probably need two bottles.

The scratch marks are not something you can resolve easily and would likely require the floor to be sanded and then recoated. Are they in an area where they could be covered with a floor mat or rug? Obviously, any prospective buyer will come across them, but it might help improve the overall look of the floor as a temporary solution.

I would not apply the above products over the damaged portion as they could seep into the timber, marking the mark more noticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pcan
Growing in Experience

Re: How to make my wooden floor shine?

Thank you for the information.

You mean not to apply on the scratches?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make my wooden floor shine?

Hello @Pcan 

Yes, please don't apply it on the heavily damaged areas as Mitch has indicated that it could seep into the timber and making the mark more noticeable.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects