Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of mortar mix for roof tile bedding?

Ryanoo
Finding My Feet

What type of mortar mix for roof tile bedding?

Hi. Thanks for letting me put up this post. My question is if I want to rebed and repoint a couple of ridges caps, what type of mortar mix should I use for rebedding? Can I use normal mortar mix? Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what type of mortar mix do i use for roof tile bedding?

Hello @Ryanoo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about roof tile bedding.

If you are only repairing a few pieces, I suggest having a look at the XKalibre 8kg 2 In 1 Roof Bedding and Pointing - Terracotta. This will save you from having to purchase multiple products when carrying out your repairs.

However, if you are planning on mixing a larger quantity, I recommend using Mortar Mix in combination with Bondall 1L BondCrete Cement Additive. You'll need to purchase the tile pointing as a separate item for your repairs.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repair cement roof tile pointing and bedding by @Thirko

Please take all necessary safety precautions when working at height. Please make sure to use proper safety equipment such as a roof harness, gloves and goggles when working on your roof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric.

I am going to use the mortar mix with the cement additive. (I have 6 meters of ridge capping to rebed.) But I just found the use directions of BondCrete cement additive (at the back of the product bucket)are not clear enough for me. Can you please give me some more advice?

1. Do I need to apply sealer coat or/and bond coat before I do rebedding?

2. Which use guide in the use directions do I need to follow? Admix guide or tiling screeding guide?

3. How do I prepare the mortar mix? If I follow the admix guide, I need 10L of water to dilute 1L of BondCrete(I will get 11L of mixture), which can be used for 20kg of cement(from the coverage table at the back of bucket). I assume 20kg of cement can make 100kg of mortar mix. So for a bag of 20kg mortar mix, I need 2.2L of BondCrete mixture. However the mortar mix you recommended in the post need about 3L of water for one bag. So I am confuaed...Do I add another 0.8L of water into mortar mix after I add BondCrete mixture into the mortar mix?

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to your reply. 

Ryan

IMG_20230414_093451.jpg

IMG_20230414_093455__01.jpg

IMG_20230414_093503.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ryanoo 

The sealer coat method is when you brush the BondCrete onto the concrete surface. This is one way to use the product, but if you are doing the Admix, the BondCrete gets mixed in with the mortar.

The bucket guide says that 1 litre of BondCrete is to be mixed with 10 litres of water if you are doing the Admix. The 20kg bag of mortar mix only requires 3.3 litres of water. Therefore, for every litre of water you will need an equivalent of 100 millilitres of BondCrete.

Since the 20kg mortar mix requires 3.3 litres of water, you'll need to mix 330 millilitres of BondCrete with 3.3 litres of water. I've spoken with the technical department of BondCrete and they recommend that if the mix is too viscous to add water so that you get a more manageable mix.

Please remember that you'll need to purchase the pointing mix separately from the mortar mix. I recommend thinking about using the XKalibre 8kg 2 In 1 Roof Bedding and Pointing as it is an all-in-one product.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

EricL strikes again!!!

Thanks for this one mate. I need to rebed a majority of my ridge caps (62 m.... eeek) and so i think i will go down the route of buying the mortar + additive.

It doesnt seem that bunnings have any bedding racks and so i was thinking about making a DIY bedding rack by connecting two sections of framing with a couple of u-shaped bits of wood or maybe even pvc.

Cheers

Karl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Karlypoo 

I'm glad you found the information useful. If you're thinking about building a bedding rack the 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m should work nicely. You can use the same material to create a bridge to hold the frame together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects