Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a broken window winder that won't open

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

How to replace a broken window winder that won't open

I had a lockable window winder that needed to be replaced. The issue was that it was stuck in the closed position. Which meant I couldn't unwind the chain to access the window sash screws. Unfortunately the key cylinders are not replaceable, so I thought I would share how I was able to replace the winder in case anyone else was faced in the same scenario.

Materials

New Winder

Gap Filler

Tools

#2 Phillips Screwdriver

Impact driver with #2 Phillips Bit

Drill with 2mm pilot bit

Kango long tipped marker

Steps

Step 1

The first step is to remove the winder screws, which frees the window to open.

Then from the outside, remove the bottom cover plate screws of the winder to release the chain.

From here you can access the 2 sash screws and remove them

IMG_9683.png

IMG_9680.png

IMG_9678.png

IMG_9679.png

IMG_9681.png

Step 2

Bunnings only sell right handed winder handles in a variety of colours. This meant one of the fixing screws from my left hand winder will be exposed. This will be lightly sanded and painted once the new winder is installed.

Open the new winder fully and position the sash fixing plate to the existing screws.

There is an option for increased security to drills holes through the sash and fix an external plate with stainless bolts. But I didn't want to spoil the external finish with the branded end plate.

There is also an option with this model winder to set a shorter or longer opening length. I chose to keep it at standard.

IMG_9684.png

IMG_9685.png

IMG_9686.png

IMG_9687.png

IMG_9688.png

IMG_9689.pngIMG_9690.png

Step 3

Wind the chain fully in and position the winder flush and square with the window frame.

Mark the fixing holes with a Kango long tipped marker, which is one of the handiest things to have in your tool kit.

Drill the pilot holes and fix the new winder in to place.

IMG_9691.png

IMG_9693.png

IMG_9694.png

IMG_9695.png

IMG_9697.png

IMG_9698.png

Step 4

Double check the winder system the locking mechanism work and your done.

IMG_9700.png

IMG_9701.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Replace a Broken Window Winder When it Won't Open

Hi @Nailbag 

Thank you for sharing that removal technique, I would have probably spent hours trying to get the unit to work. This is a much more convenient idea, and I will definitely include it in my bookmarks.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Thanks @EricL  I have to admit took me a bit to figure out how I was going to get to the winder chain sash screws. It would have been a very different story if the window was ion a 2nd story!

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Nailbag 

Nice work and nice work thinking outside the window.... :smile: Seriously couldnt resist lol

Will be keeping this in mind for sure. One thing I will be buying next time I go to Bunnings tho will be that "Empire Long tip marker" :smile: I had not come across it before.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Those long-tipped markers are very handy @Dave-1 If the tip gets damaged/fluffed up, just use a clean blade to trim it up. Then as the tip flattens, just pull the silver sleeve back very slightly to expose more and you're as good as new. The marker chemical is one that won't dry out quickly so no rush to put the cap back on. Have been using them for years and have had the odd one leak (within the cap)

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects