Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Samara1
Building a Reputation

What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Which speaker cable and brand is best to use in Media room (3.4x3.6m) for Home theatre setup.

how much wiring may be required for 5.2 or 7.2 channels
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you place a subwoofer inside cabinet joinery?

Some good feedback from our members there @Samara1. No harm in giving it a go!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Samara1
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 @Prof @Jewelleryrescue 

how about this entertainment unit which have a cutout for subwoofer to sit on floor inside the cabin and IR Friendly Fabric Doors. IS this good to buy :smile:

https://tauris.com.au/products/tauris-hollywood-entertainment-center-tv-stand-entertainment-unit-225...

EntertainmentUnit.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @Samara1 

I like the style of cabinet yes, Tho still think that a door made up of the speaker cover material would be the best way to go. Any timber will create reverb and change the timbe of the subwoofer. The slots in the back could also change the sound.

Just read thebit about the cutout so the subwoofer sits on the floor, nice idea and must admit I havnt come across it before. Tho still not keen on the solid door on front.

With a speaker that you have (or the subwoofer you already have) how about putting into even a cardboard box and then powering/driving it. This is just to give an example of how the sound can change. Even if you did a timber mock box surrounding the subwoofer it may change the way you install it in the cabinet.

I was just talking to one of my workmates about speaker builds and he showed me this clip Ultimate High-End Speaker Build There are a lot of videos out there that show different ways and differant reasons (much like whicjh model car is better lol) They may show more so the way sound can change when you put a subwoofer inside a cabinet.

Dave

Samara1
Building a Reputation

thanks @Dave-1  i am still in planing stage to setup all this 5.1 channel speakers and cabinets and yet to buy all. will see how this sub works in the cutout area sitting on floor after i implement this plan. if it does not sound nice then i will place it outside :smile: thanks a lot for your time and ideas

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Ok so TLDR

I'm a registered cabler and with all due respect to the aficionados any twin cable will do in most home theatre installs. Don't bother with plugs and sockets if cabling through the walls, use a brush plate (it has brushes that you can just pass the cable through). If you really want to run the cables through the walls and don't have a cavity to go through (assuming brick walls) as long as you are OK with minor damage to both sides of the wall, you can stitch the cable up the wall and just have minor damage to repair rather than chasing the wall. See here.....

https://www.australiancommsforum.com/post/how-to-minimise-chasing-of-the-wall-6819157?pid=1282065109

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Just slightly off topic here but if you are building a theatre, consider buying a NAS and you can put Kodi on a Raspberry Pi  to stream the content of the NAS to the theatre. I have about 1000 movies on my NAS and heaps of TV series. It is the best way of setting up a theatre IMHO as you can also add catchup TV and many other sources of streaming content.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Samara1 

Probably the worst place you can install a sub is within a cabinet if you want to maximise performance, especially if it has a down-firing driver. Ideally they should be positioned about a min 150mm off the rear wall with 300mm best so there is no reflection off the wall itself. The bigger the sub, the more space it needs to breath free flowing air. So, placing it within a cabinet goes against this principle and if it's a powerful sub, you will definitely loose that sharp impact and gain reverb. I used to install Bose Lifestyle systems on weekends and often the client wanted the sub concealed. I would play a test CD with it inside and outside of the cabinet or sometimes even a wall cavity so they could hear the difference for themselves. Nearly everyone was installed free-standing on a flat solid surface, so no carpet if it's down-firing, but ok if front firing. 

Nailbag

If you don't have any choice, you might get away with facing the driver forward, but that would only work if it's not obstructed by the frame of the cabinet.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects