Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Samara1
Building a Reputation

What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Which speaker cable and brand is best to use in Media room (3.4x3.6m) for Home theatre setup.

how much wiring may be required for 5.2 or 7.2 channels
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What speaker cable and brand to use in media room?

Hi @Samara1,

Running conduit would certainly make adding and removing cabling easier.

You could install these Taskmaster 60mm White Cable Duct covers where the speakers are, which would be a neat port for the wall. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Samara1 

I would take a wander into an audio place as there are numerous ways to mount terminals for your speaker cables. Depends on how you like the look really. As to Conduit verse stappling.... Stappling will lock teh cable in place (not keen on stapples as I have concern over the cable being pieced) Conduit with a drawwire inside it would make life a lot easier for future cable additions. 

DETA White Brush Wall Cover Plate - Single Pack is what I used for behind my tv to up to the Surround unit to hide a bunch of cables. With just Audio cables I think terminated sockets on wall plates would be nice.

Dave

Prof
Amassing an Audience

Samara1...

I'm not a fan of in ceiling speakers either, but looking at your plan the ideal position for surround speakers is on your robe on the right and the window opposite on the left.!

Neither are practical..so you're left with two choices..In ceiling speakers, or putting the speakers on stands..

The latter choice is more practical as you are able to move the rear speakers to where ever they sound best..

Samara1
Building a Reputation

Can you place a subwoofer inside cabinet joinery?

Could the Subwoofer be placed inside the bottom cabinet joinery.
Will it make any rattle and not provide the optimum sound.
Did anyone tried placing subwoofer inside cabin. Kindly share your experience.

Example cabin design: (cabinet will be floor mounted without any kickboard or legs)

Media door2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Subwoofer placement inside cabinet joinery

Hi @Samara1,

It is possible to place a subwoofer inside the cabinet, but depending on the quality of the cabinet's construction, I suspect that there could be some rattles, and it likely wouldn't be best to have the vibrations transferred to the television. Is there anywhere else, like under a side table next to the lounge suite that could work?

Let me mention @Prof and @Dave-1 to get their thoughts.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Amassing an Audience

Re: Subwoofer placement inside cabinet joinery

Hi Samara 1...

It's not a good idea to put a subwoofer inside a cabinet..Too many vibrations and resonances..

A subwoofer generally can be placed just about anywhere in a room..It's just a matter of trying it in different positions until you find where it works best..

Good luck with it...

Prof...

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Can you place a subwoofer inside cabinet joinery?

Morning @Samara1 

I would probarly suggest not to mount it inside the cabinet.

My subwoofer vibrates a resonable amount tho looking at it and hearing it you couldnt tell. The old speaker that I have sitting on top of it that isnt working walks a lot tho, almost to the point of falling off if I dont straighten it up every now and then.  :smile: 

I have watched a bunch of how to's and years ago was going to build my own speakers with baffles ect to help bring the sound I wanted out. Tends to make me thinka stand alone subwoofer is a better idea.

Oh btw the subwoofer I have can resonate with the windows in my house so they vibrate :surprised: Just to answer that question. (old windows and harmonics hitting that particular spot)

Dave

Samara1
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 @Prof @MitchellMc @EricL @Jewelleryrescue 

TV will be wall mounted. Bottom Cabinet will be sitting on floor level. (refer design below)

I am planning to place the subwoofer on wooden plank placed on floor level but inside cabinet.

I will leave 200mm clearance in all sides of subwoofer (400mm wide) in 800mm cabinet shelf and either open door or IR Fabricated door?

By considering all the above points, Is it still not recommended to place subwoofer inside cabinet with above arrangements?

Samara1_0-1722997678095.png

Prof
Amassing an Audience

Two things..

With that amount of clearance on both sides..then resonances shouldn't be a problem..

If that bottm shelf is making contact with the floor..then all should be good..

It still might be worth your while to try the sub. in different positions in the room..Sometimes significant bass improvements can be made that way...

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Samara1 

I do like pushing boundries on how things can be done :smile: Id say its worth a try and have a PLAN B just in case it doesnt. You could always try a test first in a cabinet/larger timber box and see if you notice a difference.

Only hesitation is that "double door" you will have on the front ofthe cabinet where the subwoofer will be. Even if you only open it during use, look wise it may not be as nice as the overall cabinet. You could put a false front or even make the doors for the cabinet just that same type of material that is used on speakers. That way you have a seemless front and still no sound impedance from a door frame.

Dave 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects