Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking recommendations for fireplace wall topper

ToddDB
Just Starting Out

Seeking recommendations for fireplace wall topper

Hi All,

I've recently replaced the old fireplace in our new home, and it’s been quite the adventure! During the installation process, the installer advised me to remove the previous wooden (stain pine) fireplace wall topper as it was too close to the fireplace and flue.

New FireplaceNew Fireplace

Now, I’m on the lookout for a new wall topper that meets fire safety standards. The installer suggested considering materials like a slimline sandstone-style paver (with a bullnose edge) or a fire-resistant wood such as Black Butt. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or ideas you might have for suitable products or alternatives.

Thank you in advance for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Fireplace Wall Topper

Hello @ToddDB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about a fireplace wall topper.

Your installer has given you very sound advice, and that is any product that you decide to put there must meet fire safety standards. I can only suggest the same thing which is the slimline sandstone-style paver or a fire-resistant wood such as Black Butt. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Fireplace Wall Topper

Hi @ToddDB 

I think it comes down to personal taste as you have both a masonry type product or a metal one. Personally I would look in to the cost of having a single right angled steel top plate fabricated that had a turn over similar to the top front of the fireplace but doesn't extend as far. This could be painted with pot belly paint to match.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Seeking recommendations for fireplace wall topper

Morning @ToddDB 

I have to agree with the installer, even tho my first though was "Now that could be a nice timber mantle piece" 

We use to have a pot belly stove set up like yours and believe me it pushes a lot of radiant heat into the surrounding area. Enogh that you wouldnt leave your hand against the brickwork for long. Long term heat with timber Id have to say a nope to.

I really like @Nailbag 's idea as a workaround. It would fit the style of your stove. Or maybe go for a slightly differant style such as steampunk thicker deal.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects