Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace mortice lock and handle?

rhino
Finding My Feet

How to replace mortice lock and handle?

Hi there, I have two exterior doors that I am looking to replace handles and locks for, namely:

Front door - replace handles (chrome plating is flaking off) and possibly mortice lock as well (door handle on the inside is sagging, not sure if it's an issue with the handle or the mortice lock)

Back door - replace handles (same as front door, plating is flaking off).

How difficult is it to replace these, would replacing the doors be required (which I'd like to avoid if possible!). The back door is also a fire rated door. Images attached for reference. Thanks!

Front door:

Front Door Handle 1Front Door Handle 1Front Door Handle 2Front Door Handle 2Front Door MorticeFront Door Mortice
Back door:
Back Door MorticeBack Door MorticeBack Door HandleBack Door Handle

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mortice lock and handle replaxcement

Hi @rhino,

Replacing the handles and mortice lock on your exterior doors is something you can likely handle without needing to replace the doors. For the front door, the sagging handle could either be due to the handle mechanism itself or the mortice lock. You can start by removing the handle to see if the spindle is worn or damaged. If the spindle is fine, then it’s probably an issue with the lock. As long as the new mortice lock matches the dimensions of your existing one, you should be able to replace it easily without any issues. You can find a wide range of mortice locks, so it shouldn’t be difficult to find one that suits your door.

As for the back door, since it's fire-rated, you need to make sure that any replacement handle meets fire safety standards. Again, there’s no need to replace the door itself if you can find a handle that matches the dimensions of the old one. 

If you haven't replaced locks before, it might be best to enlist the services of a professional, especially if the new lock doesn't exactly match the dimensions of the old. Adjusting the door can start to become a little tricky.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects