Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is replacing tapware a simple job for a plumber?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Is replacing tapware a simple job for a plumber?

Tips on Coordinating Plumbing Renovation

Screenshot_20240916_111259_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240916_111252_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240916_111245_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240916_111238_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240916_111230_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

     

We want to replace all the tapware in our house and are considering hiring a plumber from an online platform like Airtasker.

Some of these plumbers are licensed but don't operate their own businesses, perhaps working for a company

Based on your experience, is this a straightforward job? Would it be better to hire a plumber with an established business? A reputable business owner is generally easier to hold accountable if issues arise.

However, the advantage of using an online platform is that it's often cheaper, and plumbers can typically start faster. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tips on Coordinating Plumbing Renovation

Hi @ivanptr,

In terms of the plumbing industry as a whole, replacing tapware is a very simple job that any licenced plumber would be capable of.

In most jurisdictions, to attain and maintain a plumbing licence, you are required to show proof of public liability insurance.

The licenced plumbers you would find on platforms such as Airtasker, while not working for a proprietary limited company, are still technically a business. They are sole traders who operate under an ABN and typically sub-contract to builders and other construction businesses as well as contracting to the general public.

If you have concerns, it's always an idea to use an established business, however, there are plenty of reputable sole traders that could carry out a job like this for you. I'd suggest confirming that whoever you look at for this job has proof of their licence and public liability insurance and has good reviews on the platform where you have found them.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any other advice to offer, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Is replacing tapware a simple job for a plumber?

Hi @ivanptr 

To further reinforce @JacobZ comments, I would be only looking at utilising the services of an insured "licensed" plumber. Plumbers are one of the top sort-after trades and don't need to fight it out with each other to win customers over to be selected on such platforms like Air-tasker. I'm sure there are lots of reputable ones listed, it's just my own gut-feeling, that would have me searching by more conventional means, especially if there is no rush.

Recommendations from friends and family is the first starting point. Talking with the trade desk at local plumbing suppliers is a great one, especially if you explain what your need one for as they can often match the job to regular plumbers they know well. Go after 9:30 am when they are quieter from the morning rush. Go and speak to one directly that you might see working in your local area. Last week I grabbed a sparkies card who was working two doors up for a job I was at not in my area for the sparkies I know. I have even tapped one on the shoulder at Bunnings who had his roof restoration business advertised on his hoody. In both cases it gave me the opportunity to talk face to face in a casual atmosphere. If you would prefer an on-line approach I would consider "Hi-pages" as I know lots of young tradies who start off there in building their business.

Hope this helps.

Nailbag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

All of the above.

And being an aging dinosaur - I still use the diminishing YellowPages paper version - with success.

Scan1666.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @ivanptr 

To use @Noyade 's, @Nailbag  and @JacobZ's words 

"All the above" :smile: You are doing the whole house so might as well do it properly. Getting a handyperson may be cheaper but then are they doing the job right and if something breaks or breaks later on who is responsible comes to mind. So professional all the way is what I would choose. Extra price is worth the peace of mind.

I follow local buisnesses in the land of the big blue letter, you can also follow them if they are on the other "I" page. At the very least you get to see their level of work and also see what other real jobs look like and can ask questions.

Dave

ivanptr
Making a Splash

@JacobZ @Nailbag @Noyade @Dave-1  

Thank you everyone for the useful advice. 😊🫂

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hahaha classic. There wouldn't be too many of us dinosaurs left that would even know what the Yellow Pages are @Noyade 🤔

Nailbag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Nailbag. @Nailbag 

My wife and I are going to see a spinal surgeon early next month in Canberra.

So I bought the most recent UBD/Gregory's street directory yesterday.

Yours Sincerely,

Stegosaurus.

😁

Anyone still buy them?Anyone still buy them?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

hahahahha @Noyade and @Nailbag 

I still have paper maps in my side door of my car :smile: And I still use maps when working out a trip to somewhere new, generally 'take the third right then the first right after the set of lights type deal :smile:

Long live old school!

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Fantastic @Noyade I spent decades of my early traveling years with one hand on the steering wheel and the other turning pages of the Melways on my lap. All the best with the trip to the ACT mate.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects