Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace downlights?

julian_96
Just Starting Out

How to replace downlights?

image.jpg

Hi team

ive seen the discussions around replacing down lights and how the majority seem to suggest getting a sparky to replace to the traditional 3 prong Aussie plug. However I e

havent seen photos on these kind of down lights and thought I’d ask before biting the bullet and getting a sparky to replace them. What are your thoughts? Are there these types to replace or should I change to plugs 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace downlights?

Hello @julian_96 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about downlights.

Since you've read the other discussions regarding downlights, I think it's one of the best upgrades you can do for yourself. Granted It will cost a little bit more because you are adding more electrical hardware, but the returns on your investment will be worth it. You can now replace and upgrade your downlights with smart downlights that have a standard wall plug attachment. There are no complicated transformers or voltage reducers to be attached as modern downlights are now single self-contained package that just needs to be plugged in.

The best part of course is that there will be no need to call on the electrician every time you need to replace a broken downlight. This is a great opportunity for you to increase the number of downlights in your area and you don't have to worry that it will be a hassle to upgrade in the future. I propose getting a quote on how much it will cost to have plugs installed in your ceiling.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their opinion.     

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @julian_96

Are you replacing like for like or wanting to modify the actual downlight?

Like for like I dont see an issue. 

Replacing for a new type is something I would see a sparky about. At the very least if you do the work yourself and something isnt right and later on your house burns 😕 its a scary thing to consider but unless you are a sparky who knows what they are doing I would recomend a qualified person.

What model are you considering?

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @julian_96 

That particular plug is not the common standard 240V plug you're referring to. Commonly these days LED downlight have a transformer built in with a 2-3pin plug off a fly-lead that plugs straight in to a batten socket. These is a DIY changeover.  Unfortunately yours is not that type, which means an electrician will be required.

Nailbag Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.37.11 PM.png

Hi @Nailbag @Dave-1 @EricL 

Thanks for such a prompt and detailed response! I have no idea how to change these and i will definitely call a sparky. I've never been fortunate enough to DIY things so i am only starting to learn about different DIY projects and have started small by fixing things around the house that aren't too complicated.

Understandably electrical wiring etc is something someone qualified should do so I will contact one! Thanks for that, it was very insghtful. Prior to this i only thought of lights as replacable bulbs, so this is something new to me. I take it as a win!

Cheers

Julian

Hi @julian_96 

Glad we could enlighten you. We all had to start somewhere with our DIY skills and it's not until you are faced with new home improvement challenges that left-field topics become something of importance to know. These days homes are wired in such a way that replacing an LED downlight would almost be as simple as replacing that old incandescent light bulb. Unfortunately not in your case. But it won't be an expensive job.

Nailbag

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi Julian. 

I'm a qualified and Licensed Electrician. Your downlight looks to be ELV (Extra Low Voltage) so either 12v or 24v. What you have unplugged is the ELV side. That plug should plug into the transformer and the other end of the transformer will be either hard wired or plugged into with a standard plugtop into a plugbase. 

If it's hardwired then yes you will need to engage an electrician. If it's plugged into a plugbase you will just be able to unplug it, source new downlights and install them. I've attached a sample image below of what a plugbase looks like. 

bruce93_0-1729112587414.png

Cheers, 
Bruce

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects