Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace downlights?

julian_96
Just Starting Out

How to replace downlights?

image.jpg

Hi team

ive seen the discussions around replacing down lights and how the majority seem to suggest getting a sparky to replace to the traditional 3 prong Aussie plug. However I e

havent seen photos on these kind of down lights and thought I’d ask before biting the bullet and getting a sparky to replace them. What are your thoughts? Are there these types to replace or should I change to plugs 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace downlights?

Hello @julian_96 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about downlights.

Since you've read the other discussions regarding downlights, I think it's one of the best upgrades you can do for yourself. Granted It will cost a little bit more because you are adding more electrical hardware, but the returns on your investment will be worth it. You can now replace and upgrade your downlights with smart downlights that have a standard wall plug attachment. There are no complicated transformers or voltage reducers to be attached as modern downlights are now single self-contained package that just needs to be plugged in.

The best part of course is that there will be no need to call on the electrician every time you need to replace a broken downlight. This is a great opportunity for you to increase the number of downlights in your area and you don't have to worry that it will be a hassle to upgrade in the future. I propose getting a quote on how much it will cost to have plugs installed in your ceiling.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their opinion.     

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @julian_96

Are you replacing like for like or wanting to modify the actual downlight?

Like for like I dont see an issue. 

Replacing for a new type is something I would see a sparky about. At the very least if you do the work yourself and something isnt right and later on your house burns 😕 its a scary thing to consider but unless you are a sparky who knows what they are doing I would recomend a qualified person.

What model are you considering?

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @julian_96 

That particular plug is not the common standard 240V plug you're referring to. Commonly these days LED downlight have a transformer built in with a 2-3pin plug off a fly-lead that plugs straight in to a batten socket. These is a DIY changeover.  Unfortunately yours is not that type, which means an electrician will be required.

Nailbag Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 9.37.11 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects