Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint stair railing?

YQ
Just Starting Out

How to repaint stair railing?

Hi everyone,

I want to repaint the stair railing in my house and would like some advice from the experts here. I plan to use the similar white color. Do I need to sand the railing first, or can I just paint over it? Should I use oil-based or water-based paint? I'm not sure what type of paint is currently on the railing. If sanding is required, could you recommend any tools?

Additionally, there are some dents on the railing. How should I handle those?

Thank you!

unnamed (8).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint stair railing?

Hello @YQ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repainting your stair railing.

I propose doing a paint test to determine if you have oil or water-based paint. Grab a clean rag and some DIGGERS 1L Methylated Spirits, soak a small corner of the rag with the methylated spirits and rub a portion of the stair railing. If the paint comes off and transfers to the clean rag, it is water-based, but if the surface only shines up and no paint comes off it is oil-based.

Once you verify the results, I recommend using the appropriate type of paint to make repainting easier. The general steps for repainting will stay the same, the stair railing must be sanded down but not back to timber. I recommend using a detail sander to make some parts of the sanding process quicker. The surface then needs to be dusted off and all the sanding residue removed. I suggest using a multipurpose filler to fix any surface damage and once the filler cures its best to sand it flat as well.

Once all the cleaning has been done, I propose covering the stairs and floor area with painters drop sheets to prevent paint splatter from going into these areas. When everything is masked off you can then begin painting with a primer and then the topcoat.

In regards to the actual materials, the detail sander comes with a series of sanding pads which should be enough to get you started. For hand sanding, I suggest 180grit sandpaper to rough up the surface of the railing. As to what kind of paint to use both Dulux and Taubmans have excellent primers and topcoats.   

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint like a professional by @Peggers 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects