Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove recessed downlight fittings?

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

How to remove recessed downlight fittings?

I've got these recessed light fittings in my ceilings, and I don't know how to remove them to change bulbs. I can get my fingertips under the rim, but if I try to pull on the housing, I meet some spring resistance. Do I have to twist them

20240526_073743.jpg

clockwise/anticlockwise or just pull? Any advice? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A little Light work

Hello @Orlando 

Thanks for sharing your question about your downlights. Generally, downlights have a spring toggle system that clips them into place and quite often are simply pushed in by the electrician. Removing them can be done in the same manner and that is to pull them out steadily.

There will be resistance from the clips, but if you pull the unit down uniformly it should slide out of the hole. Once you have the unit out of the ceiling, observe carefully if it has a removable halogen bulb or is a sealed single unit. If it is a single sealed unit, I suggest engaging the services of a licensed electrician to update your ceilings downlights.

Just a friendly reminder that all electrical works must be performed by a licensed electrician.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Thanks again Eric.

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

I managed to remove the downlights. Boy, the springs are strong - you could catch mice with them!! Now, I discovered that most of them are LEDs, which is fine (Photo 1). However, in the kitchen there are two lights, which I assume are halogens. The units plug directly into 240v (photos 2 & 3). They are too bright and I'd like to swap them for LEDs. I assume I can buy two LED lights the same as those installed everywhere else in the house? The dimensions appear the same. One query, on the base of the 'halogen' units, there's a switch marked 5000k, 4000k and 3000k. What do those figures refer to? Oh, and how to buy those LED units? I assume the existing LED units plug into 240v cables (I never checked). Thanks againLight 1.jpgLight 2.jpgLight 3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Orlando,

It appears that both of those units are LED downlights. The switched function between different colour profiles indicates it is also an LED unit, as halogen globes do not have this function. The selection switch allows you to go from 5000K bright white bordering on a blueish tinge to a yellow light at the 3000K mark. The yellow end of the spectrum is typically less stark and might be more what you're after. If switching to 4000K or 3000K doesn't help with the brightness, you'd need to look for LED downlights that are not as high a wattage.

Most LED downlights come with a plug-in connection for ease of installation, though some might require an electrician to wire them for you. The closest to those in the lounge would likely be the DETA 9W IP44 Tri-Colour Dimmable LED Downlight, which is 1-watt less bright, or you could go with the Deta 10W 940m White Grid Connect Smart LED Downlight - 4 Pack.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Spot on Mitchell, thanks. I adjusted the little switches down to 3000k, and now there's a warm glow in the kitchen!

All the best, Orlando

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @Orlando!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects