Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you identify borers or termites?

Cara7
Just Starting Out

How do you identify borers or termites?

Hi there

We are doing some renovations and have come across some holes in the frame.  The picture shows the worst of it. We have done a full gut of the house but can see some tiny holes here and there. Not sure if they are borers or termites and if they are still active. Is there any diy solutions that we can do before we start to plaster ? Any help greatly appreciated:)

1000010452.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you identify borers or termites?

Hello @Cara7 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about termites and borers.

Borer infestation patterns are similar to what you currently have on your post. Termites have a more tunnelled approach when consuming timber. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of what it looks like. 

You'll also notice that the surface of the timber will be soft and brittle especially if the termites are tunnelling near the surface of the timber. Plus, there is no mistaking the sound they make when they are in the timber in large numbers, and you hear them munching away.

If the infestation is too much, I suggest engaging the services of a pest control expert to make sure that the post is treated before you cover it with plaster. 

However, if you wish to treat the borers in the timber, I suggest using having a look at this discussion - How to treat wood borer? by @MelanieKS. The chemical suggested was the Hovex 1L Ultra Lo-Odour Termite Concentrate. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing disposable overalls, gloves, goggles and a proper mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed on the container. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects