Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove pelmet fixtures?

sarah1FR
Just Starting Out

How to remove pelmet fixtures?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello, I am trying to remove a pelmet but am struggling to remove the fixtures which attach the pelmet to the wall. It appears to be fixed with a form on nut. I’ve tried using a spanner but isn’t working. Do you have any suggestions please?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to remove pelmet fixtures?

Afternoon @sarah1FR 

I wonder if the bolt has been chemset into the wall. (Chemset is a chemical compound that is used with the bolt to lock it into place) Is the wall brick or concrete? Or you could try a spanner over a shifter as it will give a better grip over the head of the bolt. (With a spanner you could also use a longer metal pole fitted over the handle as a huge lever.)

If you cant shift it via force then the next steps I would suggest is to use a grinder (being aware of sparks on household lounges/flooring) or a metal saw and remove the head of the bolt. Then remove the timber piece before cutting the last of the bolt away. That may be difficult to do without using a grinder to get the metal below the surface of the wall. Once you have cut it, then paint with a rust proof paint and plaster over it.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove pelmet fixtures?

Hello @sarah1FR 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your pelmet fixture.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. If you are having difficulty turning the hex head screw holding the pelmet in place, I suggest sliding a long pipe onto your shifter so that you can apply more leverage to the tool. However, I suspect that the screw has binded to the wall, it's possible that with enough force the screw will either come loose or it will snap the head off due to the force applied.

Another method you can try is to use an impact driver tool in combination with the appropriately sized socket fitting. Again, this will either remove it or snap the head off. My only other suggestion is to use a multi tool in combination with a multi material blade rated to cutting nails. This will allow you to plunge straight through the timber and cut the screw from the wall.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects