Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace the exterior walls of a home with Composite Timber Wall cladding?

Scott2108
Just Starting Out

How to replace the exterior walls of a home with Composite Timber Wall cladding?

We are looking to replace the external walls on the ground level of our home - which are currently colorbond cladding with a timber look composite cladding to add some another dimension/ feel to the home.

Can anyone advise what the best product for this would be? And can it be installed directly over the insulations once the colorbond sheeting has been removed?

Any other advice would also be appreciated.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best was to replace the exterior walls of a home with Composite Timber Wall cladd...

Hi @Scott2108,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some photos of the house? This will help our members offer the best advice possible that is relative to your specific circumstances. Let me know if you need a hand with this.

The first thing you should check is if there are any obligations with your local council regarding a change to the structure of your home. While external cladding is not usually a structural element, it is possible that it may be considered part of a bracing unit requiring it's change to be approved by an engineer.

My suggestion is to have a look at the range from Weathertex as some good options for you.

Whether the cladding can be installed directly over the insulation would come down to the specifics of the project and without seeing it, it would be difficult to comment.

I'd suggest consulting a licensed builder to assist with the installation of the external cladding as there are a number of factors that will need to be considered, and they are the experts when it comes to renovation projects like this.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects